Defender 130 an LR4 replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new defender 110 is tremendous off-road. Probably top two including wrangler off the lot. It’s just about 10% smaller cargo use than the lr4. With a family and a huge dog I need a little more than the lr4 with as much capability as is possible for such a large vehicle. There’s nothing close to decent off-road in a full size suv. aT4? z71? GLS?
Any LWB defender will beat all of those. And tow a ton too. I’d rather not have to get an Escalade.

Why not a Land Cruiser?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not a Land Cruiser?
Lr4 is better in most ways except reliability. The LC is kind of a dinosaur. Gas hog. Low HP. Horrible third row. Etc. If they redesign it I’ll look at it. But I own an lr4. So it would be no upgrade.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and lastly Land Rover may not be around. Jaguar for sure is on deathwatch. Land Rover may be sold off again, this time by Tata, perhaps passed to the Chinese this time around. Fine if I am mucking around with old V8 LR4s but not sure I will would feel comfortable if bucking up six figures for a 130 Defender.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then there is the upcoming grand wagoneer.
Which is intriguing because it is squared off and bigger than the lr4 but tows 10k lbs and the 6.4 srt hemi has essentially the same hp (470) as my tuned scv6. And likely has a reasonable 4wd system given that it is a Jeep. And since LR and Jeep are constantly battling for worst reliability there’s no difference there.
It’s an interesting “smaller” option to the suburban/ESV/XL idea but hike being bigger than the base Tahoe/Yukon.
IF someone needs to squeeze a horse sized dog plus family plus ski gear into their ute.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then there is the upcoming grand wagoneer.

I will be giving this a long hard look. Not as a replacement for the LR4, but just because I think it's a great looking mammoth vehicle. It would be my 5th Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, so I'm no stranger to the brand. Hard to believe it's bigger than the Expedition (which I've had x2 as well).

I had a 2011 JGC Overland edition which was the year of their big refresh on the design. The interior finishes were extremely nice and the tech ran circles around the LR4. I felt like the handling was also on par, maybe just a tad softer.

Kerrie

Reaction score
I think I'll stick with my '13 LR4 for as long as I can afford it. lol To me, the new Defenders look like an overgrown Jeep Renegade. I'm sure they are really nice and handle well and maybe the touchscreen is much more user friendly, but I do chuckle a bit every time I see one driving around town.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9