Difference from 19" to 20" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2014 LR4 order to replace my 2010. I like the idea of doing the 20" wheel, but want to know if anyone has done the same and experienced any change in the driving experience and / or fuel economy.

Thanks!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall diameter is the same. 20" means less rubber. More expensive tires. Even less tire choice. Less comfy ride. Not as tough sidewalls.

I personally wanted 19" (or smaller) so I could run into **** and not worry about scuffing up my wheels. Make it wife-proof, so to speak.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even less tire choice.

Agreed on everything else, but as far as tire choices the selection of 20" tires of all types - from A/T to A/W - seems to be plentiful, it's the 19s that are hard to find (and often more expensive than the 20s because there are so few choices...) 19" is a "weird" size that many car manufacturers and tire suppliers just skip, in favor of more mainstream 18 or 20s. Too bad that Land Rover seems to have fallen in love with that odd size across the board.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 2013 RRS with the Silver Package, which included an upgrade to 20" wheels. I specifically asked them to swap the 20" wheels for 19" wheels, which is an option when getting the Silver Package.

I prefer less wheel and more side wall. I'll try 255/55R19s fro winter tires.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+10000000

i cringe when my wife drives my LR4....

I used to have a lowered G35 Sedan on very thin sumer tires and chrome rims... I couldn't even drive in in certain places, so THAT was scary. The LR4 is a dream compared to that for wife scenarios.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall diameter is the same. 20" means less rubber.

This is really helpful perspective...I had assumed that the bigger wheel would also have a bigger tire. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm looking at the HSE Lux and am having a hard time deciding whether or not I like the standard 19" wheel. I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall diameter is the same. 20" means less rubber. More expensive tires. Even less tire choice. Less comfy ride. Not as tough sidewalls.

I personally wanted 19" (or smaller) so I could run into **** and not worry about scuffing up my wheels. Make it wife-proof, so to speak.

I have to disagree on every front accept the wife-proof:biggrin: May be a less scuff running into "****" but the 19" tires really don't have that much more sidewall.

My experience has been the opposite. I have more tire, more aggressive with a stronger longer lasting tread coming in at $400 less than a comparable 19".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635