Disable DRL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colb45

Reaction score
I have looked high and low and cant seem to find an answer on this.

I come from a VW background and we would just pull out the light switch bend a pin and vola! DRL disabled... I know my land rover isn't a jetta :rolleyes:

So is there a way to have them disabled or re-programmed to work with the side markers?

Much Appreciated!

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love the running lights to be on all the time, but I haven't been able to find a way to do it.

You need the T4 computer, or one of the home versions (IIDTool or like) to enable/disable DRL. I don't have anything enabled. There are two different options, Canadian and Scandinavian, haven't been able to tell what the real difference between the two are.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BByer from LandRoversONLY forum posted this - http://www.*******************/forums/397706-post2.html

Below is a summary of the DRL options available, the Canadian system and the EU system.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

DRL use the full intensity low beam headlamps which are permanently illuminated
when the vehicle is being driven. DRL are used in a number of markets and there are two systems to cover these markets.

DRL CANADIAN MARKET
DRL for this market use full intensity low beam headlamps. The side marker lamps, tail lights, and license plate lamps will be on, but instrument cluster illumination will be off.

DRL are active when the following parameters are met:

a) Parking brake is off on vehicles with manual transmission, or PARK is not selected on vehicles with automatic transmission.

b) Ignition switch is in the ignition position (II).

c) The central junction box receives an engine running signal.

d) The lighting control switch is in the off, auto, or side lamps position.

NOTE:
If the lighting control switch is moved to the headlamp position, DRL are deactivated and normal side lamp and headlamp functionality is operational.

NOTE:
Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) (where fitted) is not available when the DRL are active.

NOTE:
When DRL are active, the headlamp flash function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will operate normally. The high beam headlamp function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will be deactivated.

When the parking brake is applied on manual transmission vehicles or the selector lever is in the PARK position on automatic transmission vehicles, DRL are turned off. This is to reduce battery discharge during long periods of engine idling in cold climate conditions. When the parking brake is released or the selector lever is moved from the PARK position, normal DRL functionality is restored.

DRL DENMARK, HOLLAND, NORWAY, SWEDEN, FINLAND & POLAND
DRL for these markets use full intensity low beam headlamps. Side lamps and license plate lamps will be on, but instrument cluster illumination will be off.

DRL are active when the following parameters are met:

a) Ignition switch is in the ignition position (II).

b) The central junction box receives an engine running signal.

c) The lighting control switch is in the off position.

NOTE:
When DRL are active, the headlamp flash function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will operate normally. The high beam headlamp function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will be deactivated.

d) If the lighting control switch is moved to the side lamp or headlamp positions, DRL are deactivated and normal side lamp and headlamp functionality is operational.

Last edited:

colb45

Reaction score
yea that big write up from landroversonly i have gone through it a couple times and it doesnt really provide any insight on the actual re-programming or disabling.

someone has to have figured it out :confused:

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that big write up from landroversonly i have gone through it a couple times and it doesnt really provide any insight on the actual re-programming or disabling.

someone has to have figured it out :confused:

You have to have the dealer do it, or use a Faultmate or IIDTool. It is a programming option.

I have an IIDTool, so I could play with it, but as I don't see where I can just have the outside running lights (side markers, rear tail lights) on without turning on the headlights, I haven't made the time.

colb45

Reaction score
So a dealer can disable them completely? I always wondered how the american units were (im a canuck)

looks like i should venture down to m local land rover dealer and attempt to bribe them

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can. But will they? In Canada is that legal?

colb45

Reaction score
not legal if done on the books or a written R/O

probably bribe with a case of beer to get it done

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9