Disable Eco start/stop action permanently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apache

Reaction score
I have a 2016 LR4. Does anyone know how to permanently disable the Eco start/stop switch?
Tks.
Billy H

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I worked on this extensively over the summer.
The short answer seems to be that it is not possible.

Some folks claim (CLAIM...) that other functions run through this battery and they have had strange behaviours after disconnecting and removing it. I can state that I left the battery in place after it went dead and had no problems other than the idiot light shining in my eyes, but I grew concerned about leakage.

In the end, and because it is my daughters truck, and she is 1500 miles away and I didn't want any problems, I replaced the battery. It's an easy job. It is located on the drivers side - remove the cover closest to the firewall and it's easily accessible.

I have the specifications elsewhere on this forum, but it's an Exide EK151 - perfect OEM match, no messing about with new connections or cables.
The least expensive option I found was to purchase from
Groves Batteries, Cheltenham, UK.
They ship to the US, the delivery was super fast and they are super easy to work with.
Even though the shipping cost was crazy expensive, it still turned out $100US less expensive than purchasing in the US.

Apache

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info. I guess I'll just continue to push the deactivate button. Tks again. Billy H

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very easy to permanently deactivate auto stop/start, with no side effects, on the New Discovery Td6. If anyone decides to trade up to a D5 diesel, revisit this thread and I'll post a photo.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
If anyone knows how to permanently deactivate the eco/start-stop function I think we would all love to know about it!

We call it the idiot button and making sure it gets pressed is a designated task for the passenger - when present.

Apache

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but after one day of ownership we adopted that procedure. In my opinion, start/stop mode creates potentialt is a very unsafe c

Apache

Reaction score
Sent previous by mistake.
Thanks for the suggestion, but after one day of ownership we adopted that procedure. In my opinion, start/stop mode creates a potential unsafe condition at non signaled intersections. Tks Billy H

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The following conditions will prevent an automatic engine stop:

• An automatic transmission shift paddle has been used to select a gear.
  • The external temperature is less than approximately 0°C.
  • The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C.
  • The engine has not reached its operating temperature.
  • The driver's seat belt is not fastened.
  • Demand from the Climate control system requires the engine to be running, for example, when in Defrost mode.
  • The vehicle's battery charge is low.
  • Intelligent stop/start is deactivated.
  • The bonnet is opened.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA