Disco 1 radio replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mannyad

Reaction score
I removed my stock car stereo in my discovery 1 because it ceased to function properly. Now I'm thinking of replacing it. Would you have any suggestion as to what model and brand is the best replacement? A replacement that would still make the cd changer and the remote on the dashboard near the steering wheel operable. Thanks much in advance.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm in the same boat. my radio fades in and out randomly. i tried tightening up the connections at the amp, but no luck. so, come on with the suggestions.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, all '94 to '98 Disco I models used Alpine audio units, as did Lexus models during the same period. I think your best option is to visit your local junk yard and find a unit identical to the one you are replacing. Just remember to get the VIN from the junker so you can get the security code from the local dealer to activate the radio once you install it.

Alternatively, there may be new units that fit the dash and are compatible with the remote cd changer, but I doubt it. A trip to a local automotive sound shop would seem to be the first step in seeking a replacement or information.

:hello:

Mannyad

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply.

According to my research may disco 97 se7 is using a Pioneer stereo (amr2772). it's not also easy to find a replacement head for most of the available ones will not recognize the cd changer and the remote on the dasboard. I decided to sent it to roverville instead for repair. I just hope that it will have no issues anymore when it comes back

Mannyad

RobertColunga

Banned
Reaction score
I removed my stock car stereo in my discovery 1 because it ceased to function properly. Now I'm thinking of replacing it. Would you have any suggestion as to what model and brand is the best replacement? A replacement that would still make the cd changer and the remote on the dashboard near the steering wheel operable. Thanks much in advance.

Hi Mannyad! Were you able to replace you car stereo? I'm also planning to replace my Disco's stereo as well as my other car Acura parts stereo. What model and brand did you replace your old one?

Mannyad

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my stereo after it was repaired by Roverville got lost, according to Roverville, during the shipping. Yes, that was after I shipped it to them via fedex and paying for everything (close to $300). Roverville offered me a replacement unit provided I pay again for the repair. Fearing of double whammy, I did not take the offer. So I'm still trying to look for an original replacement until now.:frown:

atancreti

Reaction score
I can help you! I know a guy who is located in ABQ new mexico that sold me a radio for a D I 1995 for $50 bucks. His name is Lincoln, here is his website: http://www.roverbones.net/
His phone number is: (505)-263-2136 you can call or text him.

Mannyad

Reaction score
Thanks so much atancreti. Ill visit their website for sure and see if i can get the radio from them.

phat_Lip

Reaction score
I would highly suggest going aftermarket for a new stereo. The way I think about it is that just because you drive a 90's Disco doesn't mean you need to keep with 90's technology. I did a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 unit in my '97 and I love it. It sports Sirius radio, bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity, iPod integration, and a USB port. If you use the steering wheel controls, you can get something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIJACK/PAC-SWI-JACK.html?search=pac+audio

It allows integration for an aftermarket stereo to use your factory controls. I didn't get this for my Disco because the controls steering wheel controls, IMHO, are very inconvieniently placed. There may also be an adapter to use your factory 6 disc changer with an aftermarket head unit but you could always go aftermarket there as well.

If you go to crutchfield.com, you can put in you vehicles info and they give you a list of stereos that are compatible with your vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Mannyad

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this info. I will definitely check on it.

(I would highly suggest going aftermarket for a new stereo. The way I think about it is that just because you drive a 90's Disco doesn't mean you need to keep with 90's technology. I did a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 unit in my '97 and I love it. It sports Sirius radio, bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity, iPod integration, and a USB port. If you use the steering wheel controls, you can get something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIJ...arch=pac+audio

It allows integration for an aftermarket stereo to use your factory controls. I didn't get this for my Disco because the controls steering wheel controls, IMHO, are very inconvieniently placed. There may also be an adapter to use your factory 6 disc changer with an aftermarket head unit but you could always go aftermarket there as well.

If you go to crutchfield.com, you can put in you vehicles info and they give you a list of stereos that are compatible with your vehicle.

Hope this helps.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM