Disco 2 overheats at idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junkers

Reaction score
While driving home from work a few days ago my ultraguage went off and my coolant temp was 250 F. I freaked out and slowed down and it started to drop. It dropped to 215 F and i made it home. I checked the coolant level and it was full but i found the fuse to the aux fan blown. i replaced it and found out my aux fan has seized up. After calling every junkyard in my area i located one that had two aux fans. The first one they tried to give me was seized up but the second one was fine. I installed it and took it for a test drive. It still wants to over heat at idle. Then i thought maybe there was air in the system so i bled it and there was no air.

Then i checked the fan clutch. it spun freely both hot and cold. so i replaced it with the severe duty one from advanced auto. i started it up and it sounded like a jet taking off. I thought my problems were solved, but i was wrong. It still wants to over heat. it climbs up to 215 F then i just shut it off. it was normally around the 199 F range. The aux fan kicks on at 210 F. I dont think it could be a head gasket. the oil and coolant are fine and no sweet smell from the exhaust.

What could be causing this? rad cap,water pump, t-stat?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A D2 has to have the single fan working to stay cool.
How old is your t/stat, when was it last flushed and have you bleed all the air from the system?

Junkers

Reaction score
i dont know how old the t-stat is. i owned it for little over a year and havent replaced it. i had every fluid flushed and changed about 5k miles ago. I will probably just order a new cap and t-stat. It couldnt be the water pump or head gasket could it?

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disco engines shouldn't need the A/C fans to stay cool unless you're running the AC. If you weren't running it, then you have cooling system issues.
It's better to turn the heater and blower on full to bring the temp down rather than shut down the engine.
Have you made sure there's no debris in the radiator fins, or between the two radiators?

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for a cap and t/stat. 215 is in excess and will just lead to a major over heat and head gaskets. At idle, if both fans are working, you should go much over 195 to 197 in normal outside temp. 215 is pushing the limits, with no exceptions.

Junkers

Reaction score
Im just going to drop it off at the dealer on monday and get them to fix it. Im in a time crunch and dont have time to wait for parts to get shipped.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know how many $100'ssss of dollars they are going to charge for that, I hope you have deep pockets.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635