Discovery Apocalypse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexDisco

Reaction score
:ahhhhh: One of the biggest bonehead moves of my life:
I drove home last week and the Disco was working great as usual. I felt tired and not in one of my best moods so when low fuel light came on; I decided to think using my behind instead of my brain. To make the story short, I started counting miles and got home with 20 miles on the odometer of mixed driving. I parked on the street, :stupid: another brilliant move and went to sleep. That night was the coldest night yet in Minnesota and temperatures plummeted to -15F. You can guess how the rest of the story reads. Yes, my beloved Disco did not start. The starter turned over but no combustion. I put 7 GAL of premium gas in along with fuel stabilizer and waited for 6 days until the temps. were favorable (28F today) and still no start. Starter turning but no ignition. My fear is, fuel frezzing at some point.

1995 Disco I 150K runs beautifully gets 15mpg (after seafoam) My battery is fully charged, spark plugs (Champions), wires and distributor cap/rotor all less than 2 months old. Amsoil oil. No prior no start. Changed cracked vacuum advance line from the distributor to intake to throttle.
Please help me diagnose this. Next 2 days are going to be warm and than we go to deep freeze again on Tuesday.

Thanks.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You killed the fuel pump.... sorry to say... but at least it isn't hard to change.

Never run a disco below 1/4 with that many miles unless you like change the fuel pump... I changed mine a couple weeks ago as a precaution at 135k.

AlexDisco

Reaction score
As usual thanks for your response joey. How can we absolutely narrow it down to the fuel pump? Isn’t it located in the gas tank? Thanks for your help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It is located in the fuel tank...

The bellow is easier to be done with 2 people.

Listen in the passenger side front seat area near the floor board when the key is turned on. If you hear a click... the relay is working.

Then listen to the trunk area when the key is turned on... you will hear the pump kick on... if you don't my bet is on the fuel pump.

Keep in mind I have been wrong before :biggrin:

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it just isn't your fuel line frozen? It may solve itself when the temps are above freezing for a bit or you can try to heat it up yourself. It may sound silly but one way to do this is with potatoes. Get a bunch and microwave them until they are nearly molten. Run out to your truck and quickly slit them open and put them on the gas line every few inches. Give the spuds a few minutes to work and then try the ignition.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, a less messy way is with the chemical handwarmer packs. Downside? They are more expensive. The potatoes have an additional upside...if you don't mind the taste, you can still eat them when you're done.

AlexDisco

Reaction score
Damn funny 99D2. I will try the handwarmers tommorow. Now, that is truly out of the box thinking. :biggrin:

AlexDisco

Reaction score
I got it to start

It does start now, yes the fuel was frozen somewhere in the line. It does not start easily (starter engaged for at least 7 seconds before engine fully engages and revs to the redline) sounds like not all the cylinders have combustion. I quickly put it in drive and drove it for 15 miles. Engine does not drop the RPM's down bellow 1500. Luckily, I was right by the freeway, otherwise I was burning up the pads in order to stop.

What do you guys think is the problem considering the fuel freeze up. The throttle is not wide open but it will not drop back down.

Any advice is welcome, especially if reference to food is included.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got the line unfrozen... still sounds like a fuel pump issue. Sorry, but since it was just trying to push nothing and getting know where... I will still bet on the pump at this point.

You can also check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and this will give you a better idea of what is going on... you may still have some frozen fuel in the line if this was the actual issue.

AlexDisco

Reaction score
Thanks Guys

:biggrin: Problem solved, after it sat for a while it started right up and resumed correct idle. What a life saver. Big lesson learned the fuel will freeze up if low in tank, not worth the trouble. Thanks 99D2 it was frozen fuel and Joey I think you were correct on the later diagnosis that the pump was stuck with the signal from before.

Life is good in the frozen tundra, again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo