Discovery wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kweakley

Reaction score
I have a 99 Disco I SD, that wont start drove just fine all day and when I got in this afternoon wouldnt start cranks consistenly wont start checked battery and cables those are fine. It did this to me a couple day before I took the pos battery cable off and put back and tighten and it fired up. However today was not so lucky. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Guessing since you do not provide any maintance history or mileage.

Not sure if you getting fuel... I would say either fuel pump if no fuel, or crank position sensor.

kweakley

Reaction score
Joey, I havent done alot of maintence the plugs have been changed wires appeared to be good. The vehicles got 130k on it. Also the throttle position sensor has been replaced. Now how would I check to see if it's getting gas. I the fuel filter also has been change, and there is a check engine light on which when i had it check about 6 months ago it came up as Air flow sensor and tps sensor, as i stated earlier I changed that and just cleaned the air flow sensor which stopped the dying in the middle of traffic while idling. Also it has been running at a real low rpm when I first start it in the morning that last couple weeks in which it died almost everything unless you give it gas and then it will still die.

kweakley

Reaction score
Got in it this morning and it fired right up. Now I'm going to go to autozone to see what code it gives me. Will go from there.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, with Rovers, never take anything for granted. As an example, plugs and wires appear to be OK, what does that mean.
Are your plug wires gray?
Get your codes read and get back to us with your 4 digit fault code numbers.

kweakley

Reaction score
DiscoMike,
I believe there's a gray or black. By the way the truck wouldnt start and it's sitting at oreilly's drained the battery again and I'm waiting for them to charge it and see if they can check the alternator. The codes were p0300 random misfires I had the plug changes about a yr ago and fuel filter. po307 cylinder 7 misfires, po302 cylinder 2 misfires, po122 tps sensor switch a circuit low input , po121 tps sensor switch a circuit range( Ive change the tps right after the change plugs and filter, but I didnt clear the codes afterwards. Do you think it could be the alternator since it draining the battery after trying to start it? Let me know. Thanks in advance.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, with Rovers, never take anything for granted. As an example, plugs and wires appear to be OK, what does that mean.
Are your plug wires gray?
Get your codes read and get back to us with your 4 digit fault code numbers.

AMEN to that Mike!

Wolf

JoeMazzio

Reaction score
I just had the same problem. The POS. clamp wasn't tighten enough on the POS. pole. I replaced the battery and clamp. Works perfectly for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4