Diy changing ignition coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tagged this question to a thread related to plug changes, but I didn't get a response. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Our 2006 LR3 has just over 100K miles, and I've already replaced the spark plugs, which were just shot! In addition, three of the ignition coils have gone bad, leading to poor performance (cylinders obviously missing). :eek:

Now, I'm wondering what kind of DIY job is it to replace the remaining ignition coils, as the tech charges $110/Hr/coil, based on what I've seen on the last statement I received. I can research the cost of the wires themselves pretty easily, but I'm not sure what are good brands for OEM-quality replacement.
The Ft. Worth dealer and my tech use FoMoCo for OEM...:creep:

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah, apparently FoMoCo is used for OEM, I replaced the brake switch and when I bought it from the dealership it said FoMoCo... had I been aware of this I'd bought it from a Ford dealer hahahha well cheaper

regarding the DIY, I've got no idea how hard it is tbh

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw these online, the price looks good, but---I'm suspicious about the claim of "OEM quality":

:creep:

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the picture on that web site shows the item to be poorly made, fit and finish. Notice the eneven fit on the seam in the plug photo. Do everyone a favor and delete that link.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw these online, the price looks good, but---I'm suspicious about the claim of "OEM quality":

:creep:

FWIW, I was in the auto parts business for many years and *if you were to go with aftermarket I would suggest Standard Motor or Beck Arnley. Can't say the quality to this specific part but in the past they always did my customers well.

RockAuto has both options (as well as some others) and they are $45 and $50 for those 2 options.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your initial question, replacing ignition coils is extremely easy, even for a novice DIYer. I'm assuming that when you say you replaced the spark plugs that the shop actually did that since it would involve removing the ignition coils? Really shouldn't take more than an hour to do all 8 even if it's your first time.

Although... As I reread your post, I'm confused as to what you're trying to replace? Are you trying to replace your coils or the electrical connectors to the coils? These aren't like the old ignition systems where you needed to replace spark plug wires every so often because they were carrying very high voltages and could "leak" voltage if cracked or simply have too much resistance if old. Unless something has is seriously wrong, the wiring harness shouldn't be touched. The coils may fail, but they are pretty reliable units, so I wouldn't just go replacing all of them. Perhaps it might be best to swap them around to see if there is one in particular that has failed.

Last edited:

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cmb6s, to address your question, I'm considering replacing the ignition coils (FoMoCo part # 4744015) only. I don't consider this critical, as there are some other things that will be addressed first. I've had to replace three of them already, so my reasoning is to just get them all done at once, rather than **** with it every time one of them goes out. It's just a time/convenience issue for me; one of those 'while I'm in there' kind of things...:cool:

Also, per request by 'tilt', the link to the cheapo ignition coils has been eliminated, presumably to prevent any temptation to buy them! :wink:

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace an ignition coil earlier this year due to a failure of the boot. I ended up buying an aftermarket one from BPUtah. I don't know the actual brand and I can't attest to the quality other than to say it has worked fine thus far. All I can say is that I've had nothing but good service and quality parts from BPUtah and this particular coil was $45 which is significantly cheaper than OEM. Might consider giving it a shot.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, cmb6s and techboydino!

That's the kind of feedback that I'm looking for!!! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo