Do I need a separate set of winter tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lil dirty in this pic, only put 10k on them.

I like those - easy to clean. My wife would **** me if I bought wheels months before I get the car though, but if you still have them by late summer, let me know. There is a similar set (wheels only) on ebay for $900 right now.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can hold on to them until the end of summer. They also still have the TPMS sensors.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to run winter tires in CT, especially if traveling to VT to ski. Winter tires will improve traction but more importantly they help this heavy vehicle stop and turn on slippery roads.

I just bought a set of used 19" LR3 wheels off ebay for our new LR4. Keep in mind that LR3 and LR4 TPMS sensors are different. TPMDSdirect.com has LR4 sensors for $74 each. We have been running Nokian Hakka-R SUV winter tires on our LR3 and they are great. But there is a new Nokian Hakka-R2 that just came out. Will probably go with those. If you decide to skip winter tires, then throw out the OEM Conti tires in fall and get a set of Nokian WRG2 that you can use year-round.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadradrive II (pretty kick ass AWD with LSD's front and rear). I outfitted it with Michellin AT tires year round (it was my winter beater/dirty work car).

The car did very well on deep snow and you could feel the AWD working its ass off to get me through - and it did, but having had many cars with quality winter tires, it just isn't the same. The tire treads helped with deep snow, but they were not nearly as good on plain old slippery roads (ice, packed snow, etc).

You can certainly get by without winter tires. You probably will never get stuck either. But winter tires give you that extra grip that makes a lot of situations totally drama-free.

It also depends on your situation. Do you have the room for the extra set of wheels+tires (or what to deal with swapping tires twice a year)? Is it a 2-year lease or are you planning on keeping the LR4 for years? Etc.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 20" wheels from my 2008 RR S/C that I'll sell for $100 ea. including TPMS sensors... I used these for awhile on my 2010 and 2011, so I put the correct sensors for the newer trucks. I need the room, as I have purchased an extra set of wheels for my new RR. They currently have the Dunlops pictured, but they are pretty old, so I would sell the wheels without tires... Tire size would be 255/50/20.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 20" wheels from my 2008 RR S/C that I'll sell for $100 ea. including TPMS sensors... I used these for awhile on my 2010 and 2011, so I put the correct sensors for the newer trucks. I need the room, as I have purchased an extra set of wheels for my new RR. They currently have the Dunlops pictured, but they are pretty old, so I would sell the wheels without tires... Tire size would be 255/50/20.

They look nice. Would the fit the LR4? Are the TPMS compatible with the LR4?

I'm not looking for 20" for winter though (or summer for that matter).

But that's a hell of a deal.

Last edited:

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd need to double check offset of the RR SC wheels as I bought a used set and put them on my LR3 and had to put spacers on to clear calipers.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should fit fine... The offset is 58mm and should be the same on LR4 wheels. The TPMS sensors that are on the wheels are for the '091/2 and newer Land Rovers... I also have a set for the '06-early '09 if needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635