Do I need a separate set of winter tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another "unusual" question:

Will I need a set of winter tires to put on during the season? This will be my first winter and we will be moving to Connecticut.

Do you swap tires in December and then back again in March? :ahhhhh:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another "unusual" question:

Will I need a set of winter tires to put on during the season? This will be my first winter and we will be moving to Connecticut.

Do you swap tires in December and then back again in March? :ahhhhh:
I am in CA, so I keep my tires on all year. Though, as you know, I moved here six years ago from CT. Back when I lived in CT, I actually left my tires on all year because they were all-weather. I had no problem at all. I am not sure how the stock Contis are in the snow, but I heard from a few people they are fine. I don't think you would have any problem, but if you want to be extra winter-ready, then you could invest in a set of snow tires. I am sure folks on this board have some great suggestions.

Just an FYI, the part of CT you are moving to gets snow, but nothing like further North. It tends to be less accumulation and more freezing rain near the coast. Although, do expect some big storms. It will be a fun break from Panama! :)

Looking forward to meeting you sometime when you move and I am in MA/CT visiting my family.

-David

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I'm now in the balmy southland, I was from up north. I always had two sets of wheels and tires, summer and winter.

If you really want to be unstoppable get a second set of wheels (ebay or go to tirerack if you want the whole thing set up) and I'd say a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks though there are many other very good snow/ice tires. Typically I'd throw mine on when the first snow was falling - or if i was going far afield and worried I'd be caught in a storm and take them off in the spring when the coast was clear. If you have a good floor jack and are so inclined it's not too tough a prospect and they can always be thrown back on if needed sooner or later in the season as needed.

Plus the swap back to "summer' tires on many vehicles made them feel like a new car again so I always enjoyed it more each spring..especially since I'd deail the wheels while off the car so they'd look brand new when put back on.

Snow tires are softer compound than all seasons to provide grip in cold conditions and the vehicle will handle differently due to more tread flex typically due to additional siping for ice grip, but in ice or deep snow there is nothing bettter.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in MA, most people drive with all season tires. I often drive up to Quebec and find it necessary to have dedicated snow tires.
One big storm might make you regret no having two sets of tires.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in WI and all season is plenty. I guess if you live in an area which doesn't get plowed or maintained you may want to consider winter tires. In my opinion, all season tires and common sense is plenty!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in MA, most people drive with all season tires. I often drive up to Quebec and find it necessary to have dedicated snow tires.
One big storm might make you regret no having two sets of tires.

Yup. My wife is from Montreal and we go there a few times a year. I would feel better about having a dedicated set of snow tires.

I'm thinking of getting a set of OEM 19" wheels off ebay and mounting snow tires on them.

You can always get the occasional big blizzard here in MA.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 19 rims barely used. ;)

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great! :hello:

I think all season tires will be good to start and if/when I get a set of winter tires I'll get a set of wheels to have them mounted and ready.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lil dirty in this pic, only put 10k on them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM