Does the LR4 Require 2 Keys???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay keys should work fine. The issue is that for most people who buy them, they don't realize it requires an expensive trip to the dealer since they are the only ones that can match them to your car. Since you are getting the BCM programmed anyway, it's a non issue. I'd just pick up a cheap key if you can find one and call it a day. It's better to have a spare anyway, consider this a bonus!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be whatever software they use, its process must just require two keys. I think once it is all setup, you could remove a key, and go down to one, but I haven't tried that.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my battery died just after the military time change, my BCM is fine and this was my issue:

1. Check that the concern is not as a result of intermittent low battery voltage by testing the battery and all power and earth connections. Rectify if necessary.

Another confirmation of my properly functioning BCM is that the time and date have never changed since the new battery was installed.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but if you buy used key fobs from eBay or elsewhere, and program with IID... they will only work if the battery inside the fob is good. If the fob battery dies, you can use the steel key to open the door, but the backup method of holding the fob against the underside of the steering column WILL NOT WORK to start the engine (see screen shot below). You need to install good batteries into the used/eBay fob. This means the original fobs are somehow hard-coded to the computer (I assume BCM, but don't know for sure) and IID can't fix this.

What the OP describes is different than just creating extra spare keys via IID programming. It may be that a new, ****** BCM needs to "marry" itself to 2 keys, which is why the dealer was asking for them. If this is the case, it's possible that even used eBay fobs might work? I'm also assuming this may be a 1-time only process and once the wedding ceremony is performed, you can't have the BCM marry different fobs.

The wrench in the works is that you can buy new pre-programmed fobs from the dealer, and if the new BCM will allow a used fob to work, I don't know if future new dealer fobs would also work? Depends if the dealer computer phones home to the mothership to update key codes somehow...

upload_2020-11-29_7-56-50.png

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA