Does this sound right to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 65k on my '06 LR3. I've only had to service the front brake pads once and the rears are still stock. I've adjusted the EPB's recently. That's it. I drive like an old lady and use command shift 100% of the time. The engine compression braking has no doubt added to the life of the pads. Sounds like a few people here are pretty ******* their brake usage. The rig weighs over 6k lbs and takes a toll on the braking system if you race from stoplight to stoplight. Take 'er easy and let 'er drift. It sure doesn't hurt that I drive less than 10k miles per year on her...:proud:
Are there any downsides to using command shift to slow down all the time? Would that potentially cause pre-mature wear and tear to another part of the car (transmission, etc)? I do a lot of coasting in order to save gas and brake wear. I may start using the command shift method too, if there's no real downside.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 65k on my '06 LR3. I've only had to service the front brake pads once and the rears are still stock. I've adjusted the EPB's recently. That's it. I drive like an old lady and use command shift 100% of the time. The engine compression braking has no doubt added to the life of the pads. Sounds like a few people here are pretty ******* their brake usage. The rig weighs over 6k lbs and takes a toll on the braking system if you race from stoplight to stoplight. Take 'er easy and let 'er drift. It sure doesn't hurt that I drive less than 10k miles per year on her...:proud:
I have been doing the same thing! I tend to drive really easy, drift along when I can, and utilize Command Shift mode a lot of times. I am at 11,000 miles and the LR dealership recently told me my brakes look practically new.

And to think, I did not even know what Command Shift was until you showed me last month at the NCLR MORG. Hahaha!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to throw into the mix is that often there are multiple parts suppliers and perhaps not all LR4 brake pads are created equal.

My independent shop likes the Brembo rotors over the oem. Says that they last longer and are cheaper too.

You however are clearly the factor in your mileage on rotors. My lr3 weighs considerably more than your vehicle and I get 4x the mileage on even the oem parts. MY 96 and 04 Discos also get way more than yours did.

Sorry, but it's your driving style which is likely waiting until the last moment to brake and using the throttle too long when you know you'll be stopping ahead anyway....

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been doing the same thing! I tend to drive really easy, drift along when I can, and utilize Command Shift mode a lot of times. I am at 11,000 miles and the LR dealership recently told me my brakes look practically new.

And to think, I did not even know what Command Shift was until you showed me last month at the NCLR MORG. Hahaha!

I only use the feature when on a steep downhill but it does seem to help a lot.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Sorry, but it's your driving style which is likely waiting until the last moment to brake and using the throttle too long when you know you'll be stopping ahead anyway....
While that is certainly a factor (this is my wife's car we're talking about and she is more lead-footed than I am) I think it also makes a difference which vendor one's specific brake pads come from.

Out of curiosity, why is your LR3 heavier than our LR4s? Is your truck all expeditioned up or something?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a bunch of stuff on it made from steel plus all my gear.
steel front and rear bumpers plus winch, rear fuel can
bike rack and two bikes plus bike tool kit and parts, plus bike gear bag.
Climbing gear bag including ropes and bits for ice/mixed
Aluminum plating underneath
steel sliders from off roaving
extra air tank and compressor
2nd battery being the largest one by Odyssey that would fit, the PC2150
recovery gear including chains and high lift
ARB 40L fridge

on that trip a full set of various nordic skis and poles, winter camping stuff including "kitchen" bits

The roof tent and pelican with awning walls and tent annex
The awnings
And me but I don't weight too much :)

Doing it all over again I would be very weight conscious and do more in aluminum and eliminate all but the most essential parts.

This is also part of why I drive it quite slow on take-off and stopping. However, I do push the speed limits in all states.

I wonder about the brake pads. I think I'm still on oem parts but ought to check my history for pads or rotors since I bought it new in spring 2007 and will have a decent log by now.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a bunch of stuff on it made from steel plus all my gear.
steel front and rear bumpers plus winch, rear fuel can
bike rack and two bikes plus bike tool kit and parts, plus bike gear bag.
Climbing gear bag including ropes and bits for ice/mixed
Aluminum plating underneath
steel sliders from off roaving
extra air tank and compressor
2nd battery being the largest one by Odyssey that would fit, the PC2150
recovery gear including chains and high lift
ARB 40L fridge

on that trip a full set of various nordic skis and poles, winter camping stuff including "kitchen" bits

The roof tent and pelican with awning walls and tent annex
The awnings
And me but I don't weight too much :)

Doing it all over again I would be very weight conscious and do more in aluminum and eliminate all but the most essential parts.

This is also part of why I drive it quite slow on take-off and stopping. However, I do push the speed limits in all states.

I wonder about the brake pads. I think I'm still on oem parts but ought to check my history for pads or rotors since I bought it new in spring 2007 and will have a decent log by now.
Wow! Post a picture of this awesome rig!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635