Does this sound right to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I took my LR4 to the dealer today for the first (and free) service. I have been told by the service rep that it needs new brake pads.

The truck has just under 15k on the odometer, and while I think that's too early for the truck to require pads (for any vehicle to require pads), it beats the heck out of my old Discovery 2 which needed pads and rotors every 11k miles like clockwork. We'll let that pass. I don't mean for this to be a post about short brake service intervals.

I was told that the pads were down to 4mm, and it was recommended to me that I should change them now, and that the benefit of doing so was that I could avoid replacing the wear sensors since they haven't been triggered, which happens at around 2mm.

Naturally, I asked how far I could go on 4mm before the pads absolutely needed replacing. The rep told me they would last about another 200-300 miles, and that the pads wear much faster once they're worn more than halfway. Does this sound right to you? Why would half-worn pads wear at a faster rate? And does 4mm of brake pad really only translate to 200 miles?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how he can provide that metric? It does not sound right to me, as that is a VERY quick wear-down... I can't imagine it being that fast?

I do not trust the dealership service folks for many things - especially things not covered under the warranty. Is there a local Land Rover garage? We have an excellent one in the SF Bay area and they know their stuff. When I "REALLY" need brakes, I am going to them (unless it's a warranty thing).

I hope other folks respond as well; I'm very curious!

-David

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are being ripped off, no doubt. Get a 2nd opinion from an independent

kdegLR4

Reaction score
These are big, heavy cars/trucks that are capable of quite a turn of speed. It makes perfect sense that they will go through brake pads very quickly compared to lighter or less powerful vehicles. What doesn't make sense is working with a dealership that "pads" the price or necessity of a repair. I've had good interactions with my PDX dealer so far, but if I had any concerns about the validity of what they told me, I wouldn't hesitate to go to an independent repair shop for replacing consumables like brake pads.

Is there a consensus on this forum as to an average mileage to need pad replacement? I would think anything under 12-15k would indicate an issue and anything over 20-22 would be extremely lucky or light-footed.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you check my past posts regarding brakes..i had mine first done around 12k. I was very surprised at that. I do not trust the dealership when it comes to telling me when i need brakes and i would certainly suggest a 2nd outside opinion. I have 29K on my LR4 and i have had 2 sets of brakes done. They wear down fast I watch these posts like a hawk for 2 years now and i have seen some guys get 20k-23k but i would bet 75% of that is highway. I live in the boroughs of NYC so i am screwed.

That dealership is not being honest with you trying to get you to do it based on saving the sensors. They only cost $20. I would not get my brakes changed until the actual light comes on. Even then i wait another week.

I get my brakes done at an outside shop. Nothing else. You will save in labor for sure. Just be sure they are ordering the rights sensors.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll have an outside shop look at the brakes and comment on the half-worn-pads-wear-faster issue.

One of these days one of us will do a nice step-by-step pad changing post with photos and that will be a great service to all of us.

If I were changing the pads myself, the idea of a preemptive pad replacement to avoid changing the sensors actually becomes more appealing.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll have an outside shop look at the brakes and comment on the half-worn-pads-wear-faster issue.

One of these days one of us will do a nice step-by-step pad changing post with photos and that will be a great service to all of us.

If I were changing the pads myself, the idea of a preemptive pad replacement to avoid changing the sensors actually becomes more appealing.

That would be AWESOME if someone posts pics of a break pad change. Someone in the past mentioned that the job is very easy and takes 15 minutes per wheel. Would love to see pics if anyone does it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be AWESOME if someone posts pics of a break pad change. Someone in the past mentioned that the job is very easy and takes 15 minutes per wheel. Would love to see pics if anyone does it.
I second that!

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 65k on my '06 LR3. I've only had to service the front brake pads once and the rears are still stock. I've adjusted the EPB's recently. That's it. I drive like an old lady and use command shift 100% of the time. The engine compression braking has no doubt added to the life of the pads. Sounds like a few people here are pretty ******* their brake usage. The rig weighs over 6k lbs and takes a toll on the braking system if you race from stoplight to stoplight. Take 'er easy and let 'er drift. It sure doesn't hurt that I drive less than 10k miles per year on her...:proud:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9