Does my engine sound normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. The check engine light isn't on though. Would there still be codes if there is no check engine lights?
There are some codes that can be set intermittently that won't trigger the MIL. So would want to pull codes regardless.

Timing-chain-wise -- with the engine off, remove the oil cap and see how much play is in the chain. Will need a screwdriver, or like a hook pick - something like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-pick-and-hook-set-63697.html

This is not an official test and you only have access to one of them, but if its floppy, that's not a great sign.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
When reving I don't hear much clatter and strangely the RPM wouldn't go over 4k RPM with the foot to the floor. Is that normal? I thought overhead cams made power in the higher RPM range like at least 5k-6K RPM would be redline? I would assume it should rev past 4K RPM since redline on the guage is around 6k?
If you take off the engine cover, turn off the radio, open your windows, and drive it uphill under load while feathering the accelerator you might hear some chain noise.

To me, that video shows signs of chain slapping. If you have a Gap IID Tool, you can also check the intake and exhaust degrees on the camshaft. I forgot what the tolerance is, but you can quickly tell if they're off under load with lots of movement. Otherwise it's a constant 1 or max 2 degree off from bank 1 and bank 2.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take off the engine cover, turn off the radio, open your windows, and drive it uphill under load while feathering the accelerator you might hear some chain noise.

To me, that video shows signs of chain slapping. If you have a Gap IID Tool, you can also check the intake and exhaust degrees on the camshaft. I forgot what the tolerance is, but you can quickly tell if they're off under load with lots of movement. Otherwise it's a constant 1 or max 2 degree off from bank 1 and bank 2.

Do you mean absolute value or delta between the two banks? I always thought our cams were continuously varying based on load, engine speed, etc ?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Do you mean absolute value or delta between the two banks? I always thought our cams were continuously varying based on load, engine speed, etc ?
I honestly don't remember which specific values, but I do remember checking the intake and exhaust camshaft degrees for a whole week after removing my heads and redoing my chains. The cams are variable timing and they constantly adjust. The 2 banks are different from each other, but in my case after the repairs both banks were very similar with a 1-2 degree difference under load and at various speeds.

When the tensioners start to fail and the chains getting loose, the degree of variable timing adjustments has a wider range. Maybe on just 1 bank or both, either way, I think it's an indicator for timing chain failures. Imagine bank 2 is nice and "tight" looking under the oil cap, and monitoring the values for both banks you can tell if something wasn't right if the values are very off from each other.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
What does yours sound like?

2013 LR4 purchased new
91,655 miles
video date 07/31/23
Cold start-up
Average oil change frequency 7,430 miles
Max oil change duration 12,467 (ouch!)
It has had an easy life, simple daily driver mostly open road, about 20 miles each way.
Errand and city driving has been minimal.
Chain looks good through the oil filler port.
Has sounded like this from day 1 - well, at least as best I recall.

If anyone hears something that needs work, please let me know.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 LR4 purchased new
91,655 miles
video date 07/31/23
Cold start-up
It has had an easy life, simple daily driver mostly open road, about 20 miles each way.

That sounds way better than mine even though it was on high-idle. When the engine idles at about 600 RPM is when it sounds its worse so if you are concerned I would let it warm up and listen with the AC off since that bumps the idle up too.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
2013 LR4 purchased new
91,655 miles
video date 07/31/23
Cold start-up

Sounds pretty normal to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72