Does my engine sound normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned about engine noise at idle and I'd like to hear your thoughts about it so I created a video clip and put it on YT. Reving the engine sounds fine but in the video after the engine idles down after startup a clunky/clatter noise becomes apparent and when the camera is in the back of the intake manifold that is where the clunk/clatter noise is the strongest or more deeply pronounced w/out the accessory and fan noise, but the clatter can also be heard from the front. I didn't realize the noise was more clear in the back until putting the camera there and then listening to the playback.

I've drag raced and lapped 2 LS1 V8's, an LS6, LS3 and an LS7 on race tracks in the West and they were smooth as butter and didn't have this idle clunky noise like the 5.0 V8 in the LR4. Since there is a lot of talk about timing chain issues I'm concerned that this noise is from a loose chain or maybe it is fine and the noise is from not being balanced very well or some other not-a-problem issue? It reminds me of a deisel idle sound tbh.

When reving I don't hear much clatter and strangely the RPM wouldn't go over 4k RPM with the foot to the floor. Is that normal? I thought overhead cams made power in the higher RPM range like at least 5k-6K RPM would be redline? I would assume it should rev past 4K RPM since redline on the guage is around 6k?

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not normal. All of the injector noise is normal, but not that other noise that isn't as consistent.

shinckley08

Reaction score
I have never heard it first hand but it sounds similar to other videos people have posted as being the timing chain. Here is one:
. I have not had to face this one yet but I did read somewhere at some point that you can see one timing chain from the oil filler and that its somewhat pronounced/obvious if the chain is loose.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned about engine noise at idle and I'd like to hear your thoughts about it so I created a video clip and put it on YT. Reving the engine sounds fine but in the video after the engine idles down after startup a clunky/clatter noise becomes apparent and when the camera is in the back of the intake manifold that is where the clunk/clatter noise is the strongest or more deeply pronounced w/out the accessory and fan noise, but the clatter can also be heard from the front. I didn't realize the noise was more clear in the back until putting the camera there and then listening to the playback.

I've drag raced and lapped 2 LS1 V8's, an LS6, LS3 and an LS7 on race tracks in the West and they were smooth as butter and didn't have this idle clunky noise like the 5.0 V8 in the LR4. Since there is a lot of talk about timing chain issues I'm concerned that this noise is from a loose chain or maybe it is fine and the noise is from not being balanced very well or some other not-a-problem issue? It reminds me of a deisel idle sound tbh.

When reving I don't hear much clatter and strangely the RPM wouldn't go over 4k RPM with the foot to the floor. Is that normal? I thought overhead cams made power in the higher RPM range like at least 5k-6K RPM would be redline? I would assume it should rev past 4K RPM since redline on the guage is around 6k?

You have some extra noise beyond the lifters. From what I've heard, it does sound like timing chains / tensioners. Do you have the ability to pull codes ?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have some extra noise beyond the lifters. From what I've heard, it does sound like timing chains / tensioners. Do you have the ability to pull codes ?

No. The check engine light isn't on though. Would there still be codes if there is no check engine lights?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72