Does my engine sound normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Do you mean absolute value or delta between the two banks? I always thought our cams were continuously varying based on load, engine speed, etc ?
Here are those values from my Gap:

Screenshot_20230801_054646_IIDControl.jpg

Values after a 1 mile drive to highway on ramp:

Screenshot_20230801_054712_IIDControl.jpg

Values after warmed up on highway driving:
Screenshot_20230801_055151_IIDControl.jpg

Last edited:

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a lot smoother than mine. I did hear the ticking, not sure if that was an injector?

I think there's a couple things going on here - injectors, the HPFP pump, and maybe the compressor starts up in the background in one of them. All I can say is that when I traded this one in to get my newer one, they mentioned there might be the slightest bit of noise from the chain, but almost imperceptible. So that's one data point. I think if you search youtube for people that have serious chain problems, it sounds very much like a clattery diesel engine from the 80s.

Last edited:

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are those values from my Gap. View attachment 23655Values after a 1 mile drive to highway on ramp:
Values after warmed up on highway driving:

Thanks for this! Definitely going to check this out. I had always thought about measuring offset from crank as a way to figure if the effective length of the chain had varied, I didn't realize there was a constant adaptation!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Definitely going to check this out. I had always thought about measuring offset from crank as a way to figure if the effective length of the chain had varied, I didn't realize there was a constant adaptation!
Yeah, my issue is remembering to take those values right when you start it up and then measuring those values after it warms up by getting it up to temp. I was watching those numbers on my entire 22 mile drive into work and it varies within a 1-2* change.

Also keep in mind, I recently serviced it with pulling the heads and redoing my timing, and it's spot on tight with zero play. My numbers are also very dependent on how my truck behaves. So with that said, your numbers will be different, but the variable of change shouldn't vary too far from the 1-2* change from startup, drive, and at temp driving for each bank and between banks. If that makes sense...

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my issue is remembering to take those values right when you start it up and then measuring those values after it warms up by getting it up to temp. I was watching those numbers on my entire 22 mile drive into work and it varies within a 1-2* change.

Also keep in mind, I recently serviced it with pulling the heads and redoing my timing, and it's spot on tight with zero play. My numbers are also very dependent on how my truck behaves. So with that said, your numbers will be different, but the variable of change shouldn't vary too far from the 1-2* change from startup, drive, and at temp driving for each bank and between banks. If that makes sense...
Thanks for the info. I’ll check out my engine stats too and post them in a few days so we can get some base line data.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's a couple things going on here - injectors, the HPFP pump, and maybe the compressor starts up in the background in one of them. All I can say is that when I traded this one in to get my newer one, they mentioned there might be the slightest bit of noise from the chain, but almost imperceptible. So that's one data point. I think if you search youtube for people that have serious chain problems, it sounds very much like a clattery diesel engine from the 80s.

I found a vid that sounds exactly like mine lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72