2015 Land Rover LR4 HSE- Thinking about buying, does the engine sound right? https://youtu.be/wqjUb-qWbxE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been a long-time lurker and have discovered many valuable insights from this forum. I am considering purchasing this 2015 LR4 HSE which is over 200 miles away and just wanted to ensure this engine sounds okay. Any input is appreciated.

DonnaRocket

Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 sounds like that- a “Land Rover only/4 Wheel drive” repair shop tells me I need a new timing chain (I needed new bushings 6 months ago, repairs less expensive there)…..the dealership however has not mentioned it when I had her in for repairs in March(engine misfire due to low oil, perhaps I’m starting to burn some?) I don’t know what to believe. I have 264,000 miles on my LR4 however.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Mate. It so difficult to ascertain whether the timing chain is floppy because I don't hear any variability or ticking, but if your rig sound similar even though it is a v8 vs the v6 supercharged I shall proceed with caution.

Have you had the chain previously done?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell, TBH. Videos rarely get "the point" across to me, because so much of the information is in the volume of the noise, rather than the character. By the time the phone has done it's audio compression, and YouTube has done some more, I can't tell what's happening unless there is something really blatantly, obviously wrong...in which case you probably wouldn't be asking the question. Anyone near Portland, OR who wanted to meet up and compare SCV6 noises is welcome to stop by for a coffee and a confab.

Reaction score
I can't tell, TBH. Videos rarely get "the point" across to me, because so much of the information is in the volume of the noise, rather than the character. By the time the phone has done it's audio compression, and YouTube has done some more, I can't tell what's happening unless there is something really blatantly, obviously wrong...in which case you probably wouldn't be asking the question. Anyone near Portland, OR who wanted to meet up and compare SCV6 noises is welcome to stop by for a coffee and a confab.

Reaction score
Terrific insight, I never thought about that. It could just be sound distortions. I am unable to decipher whether it is indeed a little rattle or that is the way the truck ought to sound. The seller has indicated that no rattle exists, but my trust but verified antenna is on high alert.

Reaction score
When you drive it how does it sound?
Sadly, I have not had the opportunity to drive it because of the distance, but my brother lives about 10 minutes away from where the vehicle is located, and I am tempted to ask him to do test drive it for me and I am not sold on pre-inspections' (A control thing).

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me, a mere 200 miles, I’d be taking the trip.
Many confuse the sound of the hpfp with the timing chains...

I rarely trust that anyones maintenance schedule and procedure is as complete as mine. Therefore, first order of business is change every fluid. This gives me the opportunity to confirm component health.

Reaction score
Me, a mere 200 miles, I’d be taking the trip.
Many confuse the sound of the hpfp with the timing chains...

I rarely trust that anyones maintenance schedule and procedure is as complete as mine. Therefore, first order of business is change every fluid. This gives me the opportunity to confirm component health.
Agreed. I shall make the trek and provide an update.

Btw, I have a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 which is still going strong after 20 years. Slate/Black Interior.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM