Door lock problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 95 disco with no remote for alarm and im not sure if the alarm even works... I have to lock all doors with a key. Does anyone know how to test the alarm? or what I should look for to get my locks working properly? When you press down on the drivers door lock, should all the rest LOCK ????? Should I purchase a remote?

Please help!!

Thanks

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if alarms were standard equipment for 95 or not. I have a 96' Disco and it works like the following. When you use the key to lock the drivers door, all the other doors should lock as well. When you do this the alarm should be activated and you should see a blinking red light in the center of the instrument cluster. To test this, leave the windows rolled down and simply reach in and unlock, lets say, a back door and open it. This should set off the alarm and the horn will sound.
A two button remote key fob is a handy thing to have but I don't know what they cost to buy.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
for a 94 or 95 you can buy on ebay very cheap and you can program them yourself.... no dealer required.

and yes if you lock the drivers door they should all lock.

Should you purchase one? that is up to you. It does make it easier to lock and unlock the doors, but it will not do this much more than 30 feet away unless you hold the remote just right.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input... Im going to search for the remote on ebay, but shouldnt I fix the central key locking system first??? When I press the drivers lock down no other locks activate, it does nothing...When I lock the drivers door from the outside, it still does not lock any other locks.. What do you think the problem may be with the system????
Im trying to get a better keyless entry system and auto start installed on my vehicle, but the tech says the central locking system needs to work first.. Also when I press the paasenger door lock down , it wants to pop back up, its very springy..

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
door locks still not working

Thanks for the input... Im going to search for the remote on ebay, but shouldnt I fix the central key locking system first??? When I press the drivers lock down no other locks activate, it does nothing...When I lock the drivers door from the outside, it still does not lock any other locks.. What do you think the problem may be with the system????
Im trying to get a better keyless entry system and auto start installed on my vehicle, but the tech says the central locking system needs to work first.. Also when I press the paasenger door lock down , it wants to pop back up, its very springy..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sounds like you need to replace a few door lock acuators or at least take them apart and clean/lube them.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I heard alot about these door lock acutators.. how many are there?
front, center and back gate?? I think I may try to clean / lube them, but not sure what to use. Any suggestions???? Oh, Where are they located and what do they look like.. I also have a passenger door lock that is very springy and barely stays down, any quick fixes for this...

Thanks again

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
One acuatator per door.

I will see if I can find the link to fix them.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the link.. I was going to try that this weekend and now the link no longer works.. That was the best info by far.. Can you re-direct me to that page somehow????

I would greatly appreciate it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo