downhill assist control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
Today I was coasting down a steep decline probably in 2nd gear, going about 15 mph, I was gaining speed and felt the truck shift up a gear (I think into 3rd). I was covering the brake, but not applying any significant pressure to it. The truck then abruptly slowed, enough to let the seat belts put a pretty good grab on us. I was in the regular drive position of 4 high. I did not hit the DAC button (but it felt like this - not like a regular braking). There was no way I hit the brakes that hard unconsciously (I'm not that old). The hill was steep, but not crazy / offroad steep.
Does the DAC kick in even when not manually activated. I found it annoying. My wife found it "dangerous" and was ready to get sized up for a neck brace. :help:
I don't know if the car computer just misread the situation or what??

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds troublesome. Have you had it checked-out at the dealership?

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horns,

While this sounds pretty abnormal, what was the grade of the downhill?

I do think that any behavior that the truck exhibits without your direct input should be suspect and reported to the dealership.

That being said, I have taken a few downhill turns a little too fast and felt a downshift myself. However it wasn't anything that locked the belts.

Thanks,

Marty

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this article, which possibly explains what you experienced:
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Land+Rover-LR4-2012/expert-review/

Here is the relevant part:
"New for 2011 are enhancements to the Terrain Response system designed to further boost off-road capability. Among them are the addition of Hill Start Assist, and Gradient Acceleration Control, which helps maintain downhill speeds on rough or slippery terrain when Hill Descent Control isn't set."

I am guessing the Gradient Acceleration Control kicked in?
How fast were you going?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM