Dreaded rear hatch actuator issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 model: So I have read a number of accounts of rear hatch actuator issues with varying symptoms.
Before I throw $$ at it and order parts I would be grateful if anyone can give me additional insight to pinpoint likely malfunctioning part(s).

Out of the blue today I could only open the rear hatch half an inch before the latch caught and the actuator did not whirr. Tried various combos of locking, unlocking car, starting engine, using key for to unlock rear hatch and nothing worked.

This afternoon the hatch opened fine if using key fob only, but actuator still silent. Any thoughts on if I only need to replace the actuator, or maybe the switch unit too?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the actuator and latch. The latch can bind, breaking the release pin on the actuator.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the latch be adjusted or lubricated?
Its $CAD 131, so prefer not to replace unless I have to?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-201932_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-201932_Chrome.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 35

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go back and look through the powerfuluk youtube channel, they identify a much cheaper Ford part that is the exact same part as the rear hatch actuator.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So........ this morning the rear hatch opened with the key fob. Took the carpet out and tore out the weatherproofing membrane. Closed the hatch and now its doing what it did initially I.e. only response is with key fob, and then it only opens half an inch before the latch catches.

When I depress the button above the license plate nothing happens and no whirring. If I press the button on the top edge of the hatch to release it, it works fine to release the lower hatch. So the issue seems to be with the upper hatch release as opposed to the lower.

Haven't ordered parts yet, just wanted to pre-emptively get carpet removed in case it failed for good. I had a good trawl through other posts and am wondering if its an electrical issue, since I noticed rear license plate lights not on when headlights are? Had a look at fuse info but cannot find anything specific for either rear hatch or license plate lights.

Any thoughts appreciated!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on this just the other day. In that thread I linked a much more informative thread where I went through my troubleshooting procedure when I had the same problem.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah found it. Thanks!
Electrics are a horror show for me. Have a multimeter but barely know how to use it.
So the final solution was to just splice in two new wires between the switch and the connector?
Will investigate as weather permits. Will probably replace actuator anyway now I have wrecked the membrane, as if it isn't part of the problem, it probably will be sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA