DRL's Blackout Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am embarking on some lighting mods. Thanks to the Corona virus have have some time on my hands, here's the list:

Add Cornering Lights
De-tango my headlights, is I can retain all stuff req'd by US law/VA
Blackout the head light bezels' that are silver, with black mirror paint, from what I understand the reflective properties will be the same.
Update "Dipped" or low/projector beams to Phillips Gen2 D2S bulbs
Place LED DRL's white, and Amber LED turn signals using the 2014-15 look as a guide.
Upgrade Main Beam/ Hi beam bulbs with higher wattage bulbs.
Smoke out the headlights and tail lights using light black vinyl wrap, hey might fail inspection but I will just remove if that's the case.

I have parts an pieces coming from UK, China, US and will probably need all of the pieces in to be able to complete the mods as I don't want to open the headlights up but once, Except for the new bulbs which I can replace without opening the HL units.

Challenges:
1. Modification of the HL units may cause a failed inspection, in that it is a modification to OEM equipment.
2. Retain the us mandated reflectivity for on coming angles req'd by law. which the De-Tango my eliminate do to removing the amber part of the HL thereby eliminating the reflectors included in those parts.
3. Being a VA resident.
4. Since this is a daily driver the time for the mods all together will need to be done over a weekend.

So right now in the research phase I have bought nothing that I cannot use until I can assure that the mod will pass vehicle inspection.

Has anyone here is the US done these mods, and if so did it pass inspection, VA resident of special interest.
Since the DRL's should not be an issue legally I have those parts coming, LED tubes white/amber, and the DRL control unit, as the 2005 D3 did not have separate DRL's, just a setting to turn the lights on when the light sensor was off. Can set this in IID Tool menus.

I decided to go with this DRL control unit, in that the cheaper ones do not have the DRL's come on before starting the truck. This unit works from the Smog sensor feed which is powered on when you unlock or wake the vehicle up.
https://www.mobilistics.com/daytime-running-lights-control-module-drl/

Yes there are way cheaper models out there but I don't want something to burn out or burn up the LED's inside the HL Unit. Also this has built in resistors so the led turn signals will function correct with no fast blink issue. Have not purchased yet, I want to make sure I don't go with just simple relays, vice a control unit. I don't want to have to manually switch anything on for the DRL's to work, just leave my light switch on auto, and this seems to be the option for that.
Might do a write up if I have time, and people are interested. There are many elsewhere about doing this so not sure.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. What do you mean by "cornering lights?"
2. What stock lights are you starting with, the Halis or the Xenons?

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cornering lights come on when the turn signals are selected sending light to either side, the side where you are turning. I think they came on standard on the HSE. On my SE there is a circular plug that exists on the lower outer edge of the Head light nit where the running light exists.

"Dipped Beam" I am starting with D2S HID 35w, Xenon HID and just putting in Phillips X-treme Gen 2 bulbs.

So for the cornering lights what is needed is to place a terminal pin at the number 4 location in the headlight plug, this is the pin fitting in the HL itself as the plug has the power lead to it you just need to plumb the pin and the wires to the H8 bulb. The plug is readily available at Advanced Auto and others, and the headlight area blank plug is actually a H8 bulb like plug. Remove this plug (requires taking HL unit apart and pushing it out, the place the bilb in and plug it up.
These are programmed to light up and shone light to the corner you are turning to when you use the turn signal and dim out as you finish your turn.
Supposedly all US models had the power run to the light but only HSE models had the pin and the bulb placed.
Once the bulb is in place I will have to edit the CCF with my IID tool to enable these.

Attachments

• headlight pin out and woring.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 106

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some build threads about this....possibly on this site or on landroverforums. Some people have had great success and in other cases messing with the lights/electrical has led to problems. I'd tread carefully, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.

I love the Xenons on the LR3....

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DISCO3uk.com has scads of info on this. I bought the beast for the fact of all the mods I could do, so I do appreciate the word of caution, and I will need to thread carefully as you say. I didn't see many at all on here so I thought I'd bring some over to this board.
Was really just seeing if anyone had done them over here US, and got them to pass inspection, I think what I am doing will be ok, but I don't have an extra set of HL's just laying around to switch out if it doesn't.
It is pretty sketchy though if the LEDs were to burn out and I'd have to take apart the head light again, that would suck, so I am trying to buy some proven products as far as the LED's but they can be difficult to cull through all the junk to find what I need.
A lot of times the LED's mess up the lighting due to the lower power they draw so I will have to place some resistors also to keep that from happening. Take a trip over to the disco3uk cite and see some of the stuff they are doing. It's crazy but they would be one of a kind over here.

Yeah I was glad to see the xenon's were there, it was like finding buried treasure, and I hear over the years they tend to put out less light. I take trips down Rt 40 here in NC and that road has no lights along it, and is pretty dark. Last time in I had to turn on my driving lights just to see well enough to drive safely, so hopefully just changing out bulbs from what I am told make a big difference even if you just get the stock ones. I mean my truck is going on 16 years old now so its time. I also am doing a restoration on the plastic as well, and might toy with the vinyl wrap on the lights. Thinking vinyl so if it fails, although I see Police cars with smoked lights I can tear it off for inspection and reapply more if I want.

Something like this, but with thinner LED's is what I am thinking:
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/my15...-modification-guide-142775.html?highlight=drl

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
So I am embarking on some lighting mods. Thanks to the Corona virus have have some time on my hands, here's the list:
Look on You Tube someone has done a clip on how too black out the silver section on the headlight. I typed in Land Rover Discovery 3 Blackout headlights and found clip.
Add Cornering Lights
Blackout the head light bezels' that are silver, with black mirror paint, from what I understand the reflective properties will be the same.
Place LED DRL's white, and Amber LED turn signals using the 2014-15 look as a guide.
Smoke out the headlights and tail lights using light black vinyl wrap, hey might fail inspection but I will just remove if that's the case.

I have parts an pieces coming from UK, China, US and will probably need all of the pieces in to be able to complete the mods as I don't want to open the headlights up but once, Except for the new bulbs which I can replace without opening the HL units.

Challenges:
1. Modification of the HL units may cause a failed inspection, in that it is a modification to OEM equipment.
2. Retain the us mandated reflectivity for on coming angles req'd by law. which the De-Tango my eliminate do to removing the amber part of the HL thereby eliminating the reflectors included in those parts.
3. Being a VA resident.
4. Since this is a daily driver the time for the mods all together will need to be done over a weekend.

So right now in the research phase I have bought nothing that I cannot use until I can assure that the mod will pass vehicle inspection.

Has anyone here is the US done these mods, and if so did it pass inspection, VA resident of special interest.
Since the DRL's should not be an issue legally I have those parts coming, LED tubes white/amber, and the DRL control unit, as the 2005 D3 did not have separate DRL's, just a setting to turn the lights on when the light sensor was off. Can set this in IID Tool menus.

I decided to go with this DRL control unit, in that the cheaper ones do not have the DRL's come on before starting the truck. This unit works from the Smog sensor feed which is powered on when you unlock or wake the vehicle up.

Yes there are way cheaper models out there but I don't want something to burn out or burn up the LED's inside the HL Unit. Also this has built in resistors so the led turn signals will function correct with no fast blink issue. Have not purchased yet, I want to make sure I don't go with just simple relays, vice a control unit. I don't want to have to manually switch anything on for the DRL's to work, just leave my light switch on auto, and this seems to be the option for that.
Might do a write up if I have time, and people are interested. There are many elsewhere about doing this so not sure.

Add Cornering Lights

Challenges:
3. Being a VA resident.

Add Cornering Lights

Challenges:
3. Being a VA resident.

theozzsom1

Reaction score
Hi, are you sure about the existence of Cornering light plug and wiring? I have a LR3 2006 HSE and i don’t see a plug. In the service models it clearly states NAS (North American Spec) are not equipped with cornering light.

The cornering lights come on when the turn signals are selected sending light to either side, the side where you are turning. I think they came on standard on the HSE. On my SE there is a circular plug that exists on the lower outer edge of the Head light nit where the running light exists.

So for the cornering lights what is needed is to place a terminal pin at the number 4 location in the headlight plug, this is the pin fitting in the HL itself as the plug has the power lead to it you just need to plumb the pin and the wires to the H8 bulb. The plug is readily available at Advanced Auto and others, and the headlight area blank plug is actually a H8 bulb like plug. Remove this plug (requires taking HL unit apart and pushing it out, the place the bilb in and plug it up.
These are programmed to light up and shone light to the corner you are turning to when you use the turn signal and dim out as you finish your turn.
Supposedly all US models had the power run to the light but only HSE models had the pin and the bulb placed.
Once the bulb is in place I will have to edit the CCF with my IID tool to enable these.[/QUOTE

6BF46A5B-F00F-4C5E-BDD0-8B4B5C6F9C72.jpeg

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All NAS model even if "not equipped" have the power wire that leads to the + of the cornering lights. Look inside the HL and see if you have a cut out like a plug. If so take a look at your wiring harness that comes in to the headlight. Connector has or doesn't have a red wire in the #4 socket. This is the power for the missing light.
I used a H9 65w bulb, and get a couple h9 sockets from Advanced Auto, and wired mine thru the socket and pins comeing out of the HL.
After the wiring up I had to enable them with my IID tool.
Also I got the pins from Corsa Technic: https://www.corsa-technic.com/index.php
You can either drill the wires thru the light back or go thru the factory connector. I chose the connector and had to place the male pin in the HL unit pin out in the #4 position, and the ground coming out. Then had to place a ground wire into the connector plug that goes in the back of the unit. Alternatively you could run the ground tied into the signal light ground wire inside the light. If you go this route it will require you to split the headlights, do to having to access the pin out socket in the headlight itself.
Some have been able to get the blanking plug out without splitting the headlight but I was splitting it for my DRL's anyway. I decided against the DRL's as I didn't like how the LED's I bought looked inside. When I revisit that I will run those wires thru the connector as there are plenty of empty sockets.

Most important thing is the #4 red wire in the supply plug connector going into the HL. If it is not there, you are pretty much out of luck as it requires getting into the CJB to run the right power to the light so it works with the signal light.

Male Pin: https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=937
Female Connector: https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=252

After that I had my cornering lights done.
H9 bulb socket.jpg HL Pins.jpg Supply Plug.jpg 20200422_141029[6519].jpg 20200422_141048[6517].jpg

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the headlight connector pin out. As I said look for the red wire in the #4 hole.
I am sure it should be there, all US models were supposed to have the wire whether the cornering lights were fitted or not.
Make sure when you go into the CCF you enable both Cornering Light (1) and (2).

Attachments

• headlight pin out and woring.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 45

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next up Mod for me, is rebuilding my air valves.
GEt a $25 kit o-rings off ebay cause I have a leak somewhere that soapy water will not find. Before I go all shock strut replacement I am doing the cheap parts to see if that cures her.
Might as well rebuild the air compressor too since I did the exhaust valve clean out that worked, then I started getting the leaking down over 48 hours, without a start.
Plenty of info on rebuilding on Utube, hardest part is getting the cowling off under the fender well. I took that off last weekend but didn't have my jack stands for when I remove the valve and the truck goes down. Also since I have lift rods trying to avoid the height sensors going out of range if it drops to low and sending all kinds or Rockin Rovers at me.

What is eveyone else doing to thier Rovers during the lock down. I think I start a thread here like D3.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut