Drop down DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! This is truly incredible.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post in detail what you've done?

This is an awesome alternative!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what's the name of the system installed in the overhead ? I would just have to find some one to install. Wouldn't trust myself, as I'm looking for a professional fit/finish*

thanks much

Farenheit MD-880CMBG. Its not hard, but if you f-up the headliner it would be a costly mistake.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! This is truly incredible.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post in detail what you've done?

This is an awesome alternative!

Sure, but Im not sure what part. The DVD player install or the Kenwood touch screen system? Ill assume The dvd player;

1) Pull out the overhead light. It just pops off.
2) The install instructions had screwing a bracket into the headliner, and then screwing the DVD player into the bracket. Since I could easily access both sides of the head liner, I went with a more secure method of bolting the DVD player directly to the headliner. I used the bracket as a template for drilling holes. bolted in player with some misc nuts and bolts I had.
3) I played with a couple of the overhead light power wires, but I triggered a false head light warning, so I quit. No need to awaking any gremlins. The DVD player has extra overhead lights in case it replaced the dome light (not needed in our setup). But you may need to diagnose which wire is switched power and ground if you stop here and just use the built in FM or the (not included) IR headphones for sound. The IR headphones from my wifes car DVD player worked here too.

** I ran power, ground, and A/V cables to my Kenwood v500 setup. Most would not need this step 4) Pull off the trim around the drivers seat belt, black trim on the
door sill, and left rear corner of the drivers seat. Fish wires across headliner, down b-pillar, and under driver seat. Pop the panels back on. the one around the seatbelt is a little tricky. hook up wires. have a beer and watch a disney movie with your 2 YO ;-)

Airshow%20010.jpg

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought of another use. The Kenwood v500 has two 12v relays that can be turned on/off from the touch screen, but I had no idea what for. They suggest garage door opener, etc. BUT - Im thinking perfect for off-road lights!

LR3_Virgin

Reaction score
can i still go with this setup if i have the factory nav and blue tooth? will this interfere with any of the factory settings?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have factory blue-tooth and still use that. The Kenwood wont 'interfere', but unless you are planing to ditch the factory nav screen there would be limited benefit. You could easily sell the factory nav screen on ebay

LR3_Virgin

Reaction score
thanks for the info, but i have the factory NAV and I am only interested in adding the drop down screen/dvd player. is it possible to just go with drop down screen dvd player? i don't think its the best NAV out there i just don't want to go to after market,

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, just the drop down would be MUCH easier. No wires to fish accross the headliner and down drivers seat belt trim. The DVD player can tap the off the dome light power and ground. Sound on IR headphones (not included) or on an FM station. I was shocked at how well the FM actually worked. If I didnt also need to run a video wire down from the DVD player, I would have just used the FM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4