So I drove the 2014 Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paddle shifter

I'm confused about the many mentions of the paddle shifters not working in Drive.

On the 2010-2013, you can only change gear in the so called Command gear mode which equates to the sport mode. So in my opinion they haven't changed anything and kept the original gearbox behavior as changing gears is really only required when driving off-road and to another degree when towing.

Based on what I see in the transmission menu on the IIDTool I'm sure there would be a way to enable the paddle shifters in D even if it's not already available in the truck's menu.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about the many mentions of the paddle shifters not working in Drive.

On the 2010-2013, you can only change gear in the so called Command gear mode which equates to the sport mode. So in my opinion they haven't changed anything and kept the original gearbox behavior as changing gears is really only required when driving off-road and to another degree when towing.

Based on what I see in the transmission menu on the IIDTool I'm sure there would be a way to enable the paddle shifters in D even if it's not already available in the truck's menu.

I think he is really comparing it to other vehicles and not saying it is something that has changed from 2013 to 2014.

His MDX sounds like it does the same thing my BMW does where if I am just in D or Drive mode and I flick the paddles it will change gears to whatever I have told it. If I don't hit the paddles for a few seconds (like 10) then it just goes back to Drive or Automatic mode and the car does everything.

I always drive in manual mode but when even in drive it is valuable if you were to say pass someone and wanted a specific gear for the maneuver but didn't want to put it in full time sport mode.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axel, what I meant by "disappointing" is that it's a lot more intuitive (and faster) to flip the old fashioned LR4 shifter to Sport and start shifting up / down than it is to turn the new dial shifter on the 2014 to Sport mode and then using the steering wheel paddles to shift - if you need to downshift manually in a hurry, for example.

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axel, what I meant by "disappointing" is that it's a lot more intuitive (and faster) to flip the old fashioned LR4 shifter to Sport and start shifting up / down than it is to turn the new dial shifter on the 2014 to Sport mode and then using the steering wheel paddles to shift - if you need to downshift manually in a hurry, for example.

I had this exact thought this morning as well, especially if you can't just flick a paddle while in drive. Dial is very limiting.

What I do like about the dial is that it makes the area more open from the old shifter that seems to stick up quite a bit.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
epiclr4, yes, my frame of reference is my 2014 MDX. On that vehicle, probably much like your BMW, the paddle shifters are useful in Drive mode because I can very easily downshift on a steep mountain descent (I live in Colorado) to leverage engine compression and as you said it returns to normal Drive after some combination of time and maybe me pressing the accelerator. All in all a nice feature. When I switch to S transmission mode then the use of the paddles is semi-permanent meaning that the car will not automatically shift back unless the engine/drive chain is in danger. So S is far more manual. But I find that 90% of the time i use the paddle shifters is when I am in Drive and simply want to tweak the gear for a moment. I of course have no idea how former or other Land Rovers work.

umbertob, I am with you on the dial. In my prior vehicles where I didn't have paddle shifters and wanted to downshift it was easy to simply pull the gear stick back and left into "manual" mode and then bump it up or down to shift. It was easy and intuitive but of course it did take your right hand off the steering wheel. I guess the upside of the paddle shifters is that after you turn the dial to S you can keep your hands on the wheel. It will just take me some time (assuming I end up with an LR4) to get used to finding and turning the dial without looking rather than using a stick.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 99% sure that you can use paddle shifters on D position. You just have to enable the option on the scroll down menu. Almost similar to the High Beam Assist On/OFF option on our current models.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great, samcarloso! I will confirm in my next test drive but it would be great to be able to do the occasional downshift without needing to reach over and spin the dial.

I am compiling a list of things for my "official" test drive. (The other day was just a drop-in.) They said I could have it for a couple of hours. I'm going to layout some sections of road to do different kinds of test. (No off road.) My only comparison will be my MDX - a very different vehicle - but I want to make sure I understand what I am gaining and what I am losing should I do this. I also plan to have some of the time occur at night so I can see how well the adaptive and auto-high beam capabilities work. I had both on my Lexus and found them helpful - especially the auto-high beam. My MDX does not have that. I also plan to take it a ways west on I70 up what they call Floyd Hill here in Denver. A good test of climbing and getting out and passing while still going up a pretty good ascent. And I am thinking about how to add some weight - something similar to another passenger and plenty of luggage.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Possible 2015MY

A few months ago there was heavy speculation that the redesigned, lightweight successor to the Discovery / LR4 would be officially revealed early this year in Geneva as a 2015MY, and it would go on sale around the end of 2014... But we would have spotted some test mules here and there on the web if we were really this close to an all-new LR4, and I have seen nothing for a while now. Methinks those reports were inaccurate and it will be another year and a half before this redesign really happens.

Ah, the speculators! I am an amateur photographer and I have a thing for Apple products and in both area the speculation (and resulting frustration) can get crazy.

But on the question of going to a lighter body. Would that be better? Yes, it would be easier for the V6 and for gas mileage. But does it have a negative impact when towing a trailer or fighting the wind? I haven't had a "heavy" vehicle since my Land Cruiser 15 years ago. I forgotten what its like to have a "truck". Is lighter always better?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the new 2013 Range Rover and 2014 Range Rover Sport have gone through a similar diet already, losing some 700 to 900 lbs each, depending on engine / trim. But they still weigh 5000 lbs, give or take, so that haven't exactly turned into lightweights. They are still heavier than 90% of their competition out there and still gulp plenty of fuel in Supercharged V8 form. I doubt they'll be fazed by highway winds and - on paper at least - their towing capabilities are the same as before all the fat shedding occurred. As long as the aluminum platform stays durable and able to take a beating, I think lighter will be better for the LR4, whenever that occurs. My concern is that, in an effort to make it more aerodynamic, the designers may turn the iconic boxy shape of our LR4 into an extra large Evoque or Sport. Hopefully that won't happen.

Last edited:

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Agree. I defiantly hope they don't round off any edges on the lr4. That would be a huge deal breaker for me. That is what sets land rover apart from other on road vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo