Drop down DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure this has been done 100 times, but I thought it worth mentioning the Farenheit MD-880CMBG (Beige) is a good fit in the tight roof space of a LR3 with rear climate controls. The color is a better match than the iPhone would have you believe, I thought it was near perfect in daylight. I already had the Kenwood/Garmin touch screen setup, so this was an easy addition (<3 hours). At $300 bucks its much cheaper than any other alternatives. Next up reverse camera.

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW - My Kenwood v500/Garmin 510 touch screen is setup different than most. Not sure the few that have done this even considered this option. I left the LR3 in ultimate control of the source, amplification, and radio. This way I retained the bluetooth phone integration and steering wheel controls. This seemed most logical and stock (easiest to explain to Wife) Plus, I love the 10 dialing keys on the stereo. The only downside is I would miss nav audible prompts if on CD and Radio. I have never ever used the CD, and only one radio station. YMMV. Simple diagram:

|--GPS
| |--iPhone
| | |--DVD
| | | |--Reverse Cam(tbd)
| | | |
|--Kenwood v500 (receiver)
||
||--KOS-L702 (7" touch screen)
|
|--AUX
| |--Bluetooth
| | |--CD
| | | |--Radio
| | | |
LR3 STEREO

Last edited:

dedoman

Reaction score
Install

Did you say you installed the DVD system on the roof yourself ? less then 3 hrs and under 300????

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks slick - good work. I've got a similar set up (but with headrests and a Pioneer f500bt system that embeds garmin tech and windows CE from what I've read) and also have been wondering about the Nav prompts. The unit I have does actually have a somewhat audible nav prompt, but I don't hear it well at speed with kids in the back and the radio on, etc, etc.

I've been wondering if I can use the phone interrupt somehow to use the LR3s stock stereo system...

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup - less than $300 and 3 hours.

The overhead light just pops out, making it easy. You could just tap the power and ground there. The unit has an FM transmitter for sounds which actually works very well. If I had called it quits there it would have been 1 hour tops.

I already had the Kenwood system in so I already had power, common ground, and inputs lined up. Most of my time was spent popping off the moldings between the doors to run AV cables down the the kenwood V500. More accurately putting the panel back on is way more time consuming. This allows video in the front and hardwired sound.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work, where did you buy it from? Also does it rattle at all? Also where did you mount your receiver? In the midst of a similar project but I have the factory nav which I am going to keep.

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it local (Rochester, NY). They were nice enough to unbox a few and see what fits. We started at the 12" screens, and got down to the 8.8" (smallest) as the only option. 3 year warranty. No rattle. The hinge on this one is like a laptop, but stiffer. some of the other models has a swivel, but they seemed much flimsier. My wife's headreast dvd player in the Scion XD rattles when no one is in the seat. I find it annoying, but she doesnt seem to notice (and I dont mention it).

dedoman

Reaction score
So what's the name of the system installed in the overhead ? I would just have to find some one to install. Wouldn't trust myself, as I'm looking for a proffesional fit/finish*

thanks much

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99