Dubai LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidkaleta

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here to the UAE. just got myself a new LR3 HSE in Black. Absolutely the dog's b*lls, love it to bits. Only one problem, i want to take it off road into the sand dunes, i'm looking for some one to teach me the basics but i can't find anybody. I thought there was a couple of off road clubs, but no luck. Any replies would be gratefully received.
Cheers

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires are you using? The stock Goodyear Wrangler AT's are going to disappoint you in the sand. The Goodyear MT/R's, General Grabber AT, Nitto Terra Grappler, Copper ST or STT, or BFG AT's are all MUCH better tires.

Things to experiment with:
1. Air way way down - 20-15 PSI
2. Use Sand Mode, because it disables DSC
3. Physically turn off DSC
4. Use low range
5. Use Command Shift. Your truck will work best in deep sand in 2nd or 3rd gear.
6. Keep the rev's up! If you are hitting the rev limiter on occasion (hill climbs) you are doing it right.
7. Momentum is your friend
8. Know what is on the other side! If you crest a dune you don't recognize, it is probably a sheer drop off on the other side.
9. Have a portable air compressor with you
10. Have a large plywood plate (18" sq) with you to act as a base for your tire jack should you need to change a tire or lift your wheels out of a hole
11. Buy a nice bottle jack to replace the silly sissor lift contraption Land Rover provides
12. Full size spare tire!
13. Buy a nice 30' recovery strap, and at least two shackles to fit on the front or rear recovery points (they are hidden behind the plastic panels that easily come off with a large flat blade screwdriver or a small coin (USA 10 cent dime works great!)
14. Bring a 2-way radio in comon use in your area
15. Bring a jug or two of water for you and/or your truck
16. Bring a blanket that you don't mind sleeping in and/or driving ON.

Isn't black going to be a bit hot in your part of the world?

Regards,

NW

R

Redbull_Addict

I did an offroad tour in the big dunes in Dubai. One thing I can add is that there's a windward and leeward side of the dune. The windward side is much firmer than the leeward side because of the wind packing down the sand. Going on the leeward side, you will sink much easier. Our guide would snake from one dune to another from windward side to windward side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99