DVD entertainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sgllr3

I noticed way back in time some people posted dissappointment in sound quality with the dealer installed DVD. Updates? Does this still happen with '06? Would other aftermarket systems be better?
My wife also wants to know if all the windows make daytime viewing difficult.
I think we're pretty settled on getting the 06' HSE. Just ****** that they hiked the price without adding extra goodies over the '05.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Land Rover DVD basically is "aftermarket" (Rosen OEM) and there is no real "model year" for it. It sounds fine to me, but I don't personally have it. It just wires up to the AUX input. You can do better price-wise and it'll most likely take up less space than the "Land Rover" one.

North American '06 HSE has Front PDC but lost lumbar support adjustment. I'm sure that's well worth the 1K price hike. :)

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Rosen put in aftermarket. It was so much better then the LR install. I of course don't have it any more because my LR3 was so close to being a Lemon they took it back so they could resell it to you (thus getting 3 more shots at fixing it). I've yet to have time to get DVD in the new one.

I had pics online but took them down. I could email you a few if you'd like. Let me know here. My install cost $1700 and it was fine!

H

hysterwv

Our dealer actually has a local stereo shop do the installs. Ours was neat and clean. As far as quality, it's as good or better than the unit that was in our Honda Odyssey. The display is WAAY bright and daytime viewing is no problem. There's also a "dimming" button on the remote for nighttime use. Sound quality seems good to me, but I'm no audiophile.

Kinda pricey overall, but I believe it's the cleanest install out there.

J

jlammers

I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport with the DVD entertainment system. The other day when turning off the vehicle, while my son was watching a movie, I noticed that there was a small black screen that appeared on the front screen (nav system). After quickly touching this screen I thought I found an an option that enabled me to watch a video from the front seats or at least control it from the touch screen vs. the remote. Anyway after researching this in one of the many manuals I found that this option is available to non U.S. owners only but due to US regulations this feature is disabled. Does anyone know how to enable this feature?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RSES video output is not physically connected to the front in North America Range Rover Sport. (They really should have enabled it -- but only while stopped -- instead of killing the whole thing in NA. But that would take engineering effort. Ugh.) You can attempt to wire it up, but I have no idea if that's the only thing that's preventing it's use.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jlammers

Do you know how to connect this RSES video output to the screen? Even if the car is parked it would be a cool feature. Thanks in advance for the help!

J

JoelD

I am a few days away from taking delivery of my first LR, a 2005. The dealer is installing a DVD system for me. I went to the place that installs them for me and found out its a 7" Rosen system. Does anyone know what the size of the LR installed DVD is? I saw a used one at Carmax and it seemed to be a 10". I know it wasn't the 7" because the installed one had a feature to adjust the viewing angle of the screen.

If anyone has a factory one installed, can you send me a few pictures I can share with the installer? They are very good installer, but I think they may have fallen into a "well this is what we did last time, we know it fits" mode. Thanks in adavance,
Joel

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Land Rover" OEM dealer install DVD is based on a Rosen 9" "All-In-One" system. There is no "factory one" technically. There is a picture of the OEM one on the Land Rover web site under Accessories. It's really big since the OEM install kit adds a big plastic base.

Here is a 10" Rosen All-In-One unit installed by a custom stop: http://sunroofsetc.com/100_0858.JPG

There many many options available. Smaller units may require less modification.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JoelD

wow, at that size it looks like it pretty much makes the rear view mirror useless, or is the angle the picture taken from deciving? It would be nice to have a big screen like that, but on a road trip I think I may miss my rear view. Is this your install? Do you have any insight on how driving with it is? Too bad the nav screen couldn't double as a rear view with a back mounted camera. Fun!

Thanks for the great picture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635