Making a case for the D5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guarantee that the stupid one piece tailgate in the D5 came from a case of focus groups anda case of the "me too". Every CUV/SUV has the auto open/close tailgate and its a popular must have mommie option.

Unfortunately this killed the more practical and functional two piece tailgate.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luxurious is pretty easy to do and everyone does above a certain price point.

Capable is much more difficult, but not much good if all one sees is luxurious. This is why I think LR does not understand that with capable, the vehicle must also appear capable.

The real Jeeps look capable; the G Wagon looks and is capable; the Land Cruiser/Prado's, I guess so as well, so would at least one Land Rover be so difficult?

Agreed. Will take functionality over luxury anytime if functionality/durablilty was the cost for luxury.

LR3 was less luxurious but had a more solid feel inside the cabin. I started noticing therm being lazy engineering and design wise when I saw a few things in LR4 which were not better than LR3 but certainly were more convenient assembly/service wise.

An example would be the commission of one-piece dashboard top panel in LR3 in favour of the two pieces in LR4. The more pieces, the more attachment mechanisms, more rattles = less solid feel. Germans get it and the top dash panels on their SUVs are one-piece units. Even Hyundai/Kia get it. But now I see every model in LR lineup is using two-piece top dash panels.

And who knows what other parts were "lightened" or were downright removed to make the LR4 lighter in weight vs LR3. I know at least one instance for sure where a missing/lightened version of a part had a pretty bad impact on NVH levels at higher speeds due to transmission torque on my ,13 Lux. After having discussions with the LR engineering and a field engineer, the shop foreman at my local dealership decided to put a previous version of that particular part which was beefier (and heavier) to fix the situation.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guarantee that the stupid one piece tailgate in the D5 came from a case of focus groups anda case of the "me too". Every CUV/SUV has the auto open/close tailgate and its a popular must have mommie option.

Unfortunately this killed the more practical and functional two piece tailgate.

I am sure they could have attempted to achieve the same with two piece gate and that may have meant another electric motor and added costs. Well, you absorb that cost when you are setting it up for a 65k tp 75k unit. And the vehicle would have retained its functionality.

Also, electric/sensor activated gate could have been bundled up with the electric folding seats as a competitively priced option package geared toward mommies, much like the HD package with rear locker for the daddies. But all that requires a different type of thought process at the head office.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4 is heavier than an LR3.

Thought the brochures/documentation said it started around 5655 LBs or similar, whereas LR3 started around 5700 LBs or so, No?

I know that 2016 LR4s start at 5850 LBs and that could be primarily due to the running boards and the associated mounting hardware.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure they could have attempted to achieve the same with two piece gate and that may have meant another electric motor and added costs. Well, you absorb that cost when you are setting it up for a 65k tp 75k unit. And the vehicle would have retained its functionality.

Also, electric/sensor activated gate could have been bundled up with the electric folding seats as a competitively priced option package geared toward mommies, much like the HD package with rear locker for the daddies. But all that requires a different type of thought process at the head office.
Did you see that even trucks have automatic tailgate options now? It's so lame how lazy we're getting overall ...

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 LR3 V8 HSE 5796 lbs
2010 LR4 HSE 5833.

Quite sure total difference was all engine.

LR4 got bigger brakes
Revised steering knuckles to bring roll center toward center
larger anti roll bars
sand mode?

They did decontent a few things. Passenger side cup holder and the third row audio controls.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 LR3 V8 HSE 5796 lbs
2010 LR4 HSE 5833.

Quite sure total difference was all engine.

LR4 got bigger brakes
Revised steering knuckles to bring roll center toward center
larger anti roll bars
sand mode?

They did decontent a few things. Passenger side cup holder and the third row audio controls.

True, but then the curb weight of LR4 dropped to 5655 in the later years up until 2016 I believe when it jumped back to 5850.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to be able to accurately weigh my truck if possible to see what the real deal is with hd package and some other options.

Looked up online, but not much comes up. Most scales seem to be for semis and other type of big transporting truck trailers type rigs, so those scales +/- accuracy percentage can't be good for an SUV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72