DVD entertainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U

UnbrknCh8n

JoelD said:
wow, at that size it looks like it pretty much makes the rear view mirror useless, or is the angle the picture taken from deciving? It would be nice to have a big screen like that, but on a road trip I think I may miss my rear view. Is this your install? Do you have any insight on how driving with it is? ...

I have an '05 SE purchased in January. I purchased the (dealer-installed) DVD system. It is a Rosen system with a screen that is 8" horizontal by 4.5" vertical (with a diagonal that is a shade under 9"). It is adjustable up and down (but not side to side). Being adjustable has been very important to my 11 year old and 3 year old girls, because the picture quality is relatively poor when viewed from an angle (like laptops can be), and if the screen is pointed directly to the rear, they are viewing it from below.

The install appears very similar to the above photo link. Somewhat surprisingly, it has worked flawlessly over the past 23K miles. One reason I had it dealer-installed was that I was told that it would be covered under warranty this way.

As for how it is while driving, for me it totally takes out my view through the rear view mirror. On the road trips I've taken, this has not been too much of an issue, because on highway driving I am not as reliant on this mirror. However, having the children quiet and entertained is awsome! The loss of visability is a small price to pay. Also, when the screen is closed, the player doesn't at all limit visibility like it can on some other SUV's (hurray for the higher ceiling of the LR3!)

J

JoelD

That good to know about the angled viewing for shorties, my oldest is only 3, so we'll have the same viewing problems if the screen doesn't point down a bit. I checked out the Rosen website and it looks like you have either the 10.2" or the 8", both come with the "Adjustable Screen Angle Memory". With this info and the picture I should be able to get the right DVD installed. Thanks for all the help.

J

JoelD

The thing I'm worried about is if the installer is going to be willing to make the modifications needed to get this bigger screen in. I'm more concerned with having the tilting ability than the larger screen. Does't the ceiling angle up towards the AC controls? I wonder if the installer that did UnbrknCh8n's system created a custom plastic peice to accomidate the angle. It looks really nice, but may be the deal breaker if we don't have access to the piece.
The 7" that they typically install at this place stops short of the angle in the ceiling, I believe. I don't know the interior as well, so its hard for me to visualize when explaining it to them. Espically when I am trying to convince them to do something different than what they have always done.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, UnbrknCh8n's install is the "Land Rover" OEM install... by the book, just like the picture on the LR web site.

The 10" install posted earlier is custom, and required trimming part of the light section... but looks very close to OEM and takes up less "space." It's all up to the installer and their (your) comfort level.

J

JoelD

I went down to the installer's today because they were putting in another 7" Rosen. I talked to the installers, not the sales guy, about the size and the angle. It turns out that some of the 7" models do come with a dial to adjust the angle. They said they would be willing to make the 10" in fit by cutting down the light system, but they recomended the 7" due to how close you sit to the screen. They put a DVD in and played it through the speakers and it really did look and sound great. I decided to take their advice and have the 7" installed tomorrow.

Another nice thing I tried out is that you can actually use the rear view mirror when the 7" is being used. I'd say about 1/2 of the view is obstructed, but its still usable.

Thanks for everyone's help, let me know if anyone wants pictures.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had the 10" (light cut down) I didn't think it was too big at all. I could email you some images if you like.

T

toddjb123

askewed said:
We had the 10" (light cut down) I didn't think it was too big at all. I could email you some images if you like.
Yeah, sitting here it sounds like the installer just talked him out of it so he wouldn't have to start over... "the ten incher? nah, you don't want a screen that big! the 7 inch screen is the best one for you..." :)

But when it comes down to it, you're the one driving, if the kids in the back seat are entertained it really doesn't matter. Bonus if you can use the mirror and don't have to cut up light assemblies.

J

JoelD

Luckly everyone at the shop is very helpful and the owner has told me that he knows I'll own a lot more cars down the road, so he wants me to be happy. He told me that if I don't like the 7", or more importantly if the munchkins don't like it, he'll replace it with the larger screen. He's installing 6 of these this week, so I have no doubt that he'll be able to use it on another one.

Thanks askewed for the picture offer, I just received about 10 picts via email from another poster on this topic, so I think I am all set.

Only one more wake up till I take delivery, right in time for the winter storm they'll calling for here in DC.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo