Emiission assistance Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freelanderblues

Reaction score
:albertein My 99 Freelander 1.8 has failed emssion test, I have replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, new disctibutor cap and rotor, O2 sensor, and now the Cat. Pulled old cat off and guts were gone... Took suv to test again and HC was eve higher--what can i do now. Too much fuel, is it EGR or ECU? HELP!!!!:confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of times if a emission test is done after a car has been idling for a while, the cats cool off and load up with a small amount of fuel. Running the engine at about 2,000 rpm will heat the converters up and clear them out, resulting in a proper reading.

Freelanderblues

Reaction score
A lot of times if a emission test is done after a car has been idling for a while, the cats cool off and load up with a small amount of fuel. Running the engine at about 2,000 rpm will heat the converters up and clear them out, resulting in a proper reading.

:confused: Joey, thanks but before test car was driven 30 miles...but to go from high to highrt HC reading with changing from front to back, car runs well, idles well, hanes book states ignition or fuel injection problem...what else can I do before I bring it to LR £$£$

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would try some fuel injector cleaner finish the tank out prior to having the test done.

Freelanderblues

Reaction score
I did that with the original test which started me done the path of fron to back repairs.. I have also been told to dump 2-3 bpttles of dry gas in it and it will burn cleaner, I also read their could be fuel in the motor oil...LR said to bring ir in ro see the codes---I will check the timing again and may rplace tne wires, cap rotor, again...Hanes maniul should be morre specific on how to troubleshoot more of ignition and injection, but this is why I am on the forum...Thanks :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635