Engine detail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
Might have been covered in another thread but I'm thinking of cleaning the engine bay with some P21S Total Clean, basically spray as much under the hood as I can then hose everything off.

Videos in general say you should cover electronics to keep them dry, specifically the alternator. Is that necessary for an LR4 given the wading depth is about 2 feet?

Thanks

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I power wash mine out all the time.

Doesn't Land Rover say our alternators are waterproof? I'll try and find the source for that one...

Edit: Can't find anything official that says my claim.

https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analysis/land-rover-lr4-sure-footed-elegant-pricey

This is the only website where I can see any mention of a waterproof alternator.

Anyways, just don't go blasting water on the alternator/ECU/battery and you should be fine.

I usually hit mine up with the foam gun and then rinse it off.

Last edited:

Michael Conley

Reaction score
I power wash mine out all the time.

Doesn't Land Rover say our alternators are waterproof? I'll try and find the source for that one...

Edit: Can't find anything official that says my claim.

https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analysis/land-rover-lr4-sure-footed-elegant-pricey

This is the only website where I can see any mention of a waterproof alternator.

Anyways, just don't go blasting water on the alternator/ECU/battery and you should be fine.

I usually hit mine up with the foam gun and then rinse it off.

Thanks for the input! Yeah I figure I'd take it easy, leave the battery covered and use a low-flow on the bay in general.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
Pretty easy without issue. Def something I'll add to my annual regimine

PXL_20210313_182045502.MP.jpg

DonnieRB

Reaction score
Though not directly related, I killed my alternator in my lr3 playing in a 2 foot deep mud puddle in the red dirt of northeast Texas. The consensus was that the dirt is rich in iron ore and may have shorted out the alternator.

I've read since that you should carry something t like a ********* squirt gun to rinse it out. I would cover it while washing and open it when rinsing.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spray all my engines with simple green and spray them out with the flat hose nozzle and never have any issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM