Engine Knocking 2001 Disco II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pressure was done before the teear down and looked great. I asked them to replace the valve guides and the timing chain - they told me it was a waste of money and time - and said it all looked great. I said whatever needs to be replace please do.

Only internal issue was the oil pump ring gear (which is fairly common) was cracked in 3 places - which they caught before it imploded, so new pump, cover, gear etc.

Other than that everything looked good.

Do the knock sensors never go bad?

Hmmm? Joey is correct - they should throw a code but they may be on their way out but just have not thrown a code yet - that happens more often than you might think.

Most ecu's on modern vehicles advance timing until ping is reached then back-off; according to Mark Adams (UK Rover computer guru) the Rover ecu's (well - at least GEMS) - are more sophisticated than this and should be attentuating timing just before ping. But if you are into actual ping - then something is not doing its job - especially with 93 Octane and that would seem to be the knock sensors.

Having said that - other potential culprits might be the CPS or the cam sensor or both?

Wolf

disc03

Reaction score
hi,my 03 disco w/ 68,900 mi.makes a tapping sound after driving it for 20-30 min.my indepent rover mechanic told me to use seafoam and drive it for couple hundred miles.he said that i have a sticky lifters.so i drove it and after 258 mi it still makes that tapping sound and the engine starting to sound weird and i decided to change the oil w/ mobil 5/30 synthetic and K &N filter ,also i added that lucas synthetic oil stabilizer..it quiet down the engine but when i get to a stop or @ park,then it will make that tapping sound again.this one mechanic said that i might need a lifter job.this problem is really driving me nuts!!

ps.i saw a video on you tube about disco making that tapping sound.the guy was saying that sometimes the bolt or screw on the oil pick-up comes loose and creates that tapping sound.can anyone give me advice what can i do with this problem?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99