Engine light when fuel level down to a few gallons Err Cd is fuel system performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one have their engine light spring up when the tank is low? LR said the code was fuel system performance issue (I stopped by right as they were closing). They can't see my car for a few weeks.

I filled the car on the way home and the light turned off. I' supposed to leave for MOAB (my previous post) so I wanted to make sure its going to be OK to drive out there still.

Cheers

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“fuel system performance” is a little vague. Maybe go by an auto parts store and have them scan it and give you the code, or just by a cheap scanner. Post up the code here once you have it. Could be the low pressure fuel pump.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It keeps turning off and on. Possibly a bad sensor? I'm driving 400 miles to MOAB tomorrow. Wish me luck!
The car is functioning as normal, no lag or performance issues. I can't cancel this trip.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Code was P0089 'Fuel pressure regulator performance'.

It keeps turning off and on. Although It has stayed on for about 4 hours.
The car is driving great.

I'm leaving in about 2 hours to MOAB. I can't fit the family in a 2011 MINI.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had advice as to the risk of this creating a problem during your trip, but I don’t. I just don’t know. But below is some info. One thing you might do is check a local dealer or a dealer on your route to see if they have a fuel rail pressure sensor in stock you could pick up and just keep with you. If you break down, might give you a shot at having a local garage install it to see if that’s the problem. I think they’re about $100 or so.

There are two subcodes in the manual. Both seem to say to check the wiring for the fuel pressure regulator circuit and the fuel rail pressure sensor circuit and, if okay, suspect the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel rail pressure sensor. DTC code descriptions attached. This is from a 2014-2015 manual.

It’s my understanding the fuel pressure regulator is actually an integrated part of each HP fuel pump on these cars. The HP fuel pumps are along the passenger side of the engine below the head.

The fuel rail pressure sensor is a separate part that screws into the end of the fuel rail on the passenger side.

I haven’t accessed any of this before, but I think you can get to the fuel rail pressure sensor through the passenger side wheel well by removing the wheel well cover. I’d be trying to replace the fuel rail pressure sensor before I did anything with the fuel pumps.

Attachments

• 1A0123F3-5C20-4264-8F01-1DAE742C30EB.jpeg
    1A0123F3-5C20-4264-8F01-1DAE742C30EB.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 39
  • C1F4174C-905E-4428-8A35-FFD1777B10B6.jpeg
    C1F4174C-905E-4428-8A35-FFD1777B10B6.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 39

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just remembering as well that there was a TJ on the p0089-64 subcode. The dealers were fixing it with a PCM software update, but it also mentioned that diagnosis of the low pressure fuel pump (in the tank) was recommended and, if necessary, the low pressure pump replaced. This was LTB01275 and some misc document without a number. Specific to the 2015-2016 models.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Code was P0089 'Fuel pressure regulator performance'.

It keeps turning off and on. Although It has stayed on for about 4 hours.
The car is driving great.

I'm leaving in about 2 hours to MOAB. I can't fit the family in a 2011 MINI.
I had a similar issue. Nothing wrong with the fuel system. It was the starting battery on its way out and the aux one totally fritzed, together with the alternator frying itself, for some reason I had to do both batteries replaced to get the gremlins to subside after installing the new alternator.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing....I just had my secondary battery replaced about two weeks ago. I wonder if they wonked something up while they were replacing it?

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MOAB..well I drove the mini cooper. It was sad. MOAB was fun, wlthough we had a huge blizzard snow storm heading over Vail pass. That was a nightmaire in the mini cooper.

I didn't want to risk stranding the family. SO I left the LR4 and all my off-road plans at home. I did drown my sorrows with those donuts from the Chicken, Coffee, Donuts place.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the P0089 fault several times on my 2015 LR4. The first time was under warrenty about 18K and they had it at the dealer for about 2 weeks. I believe they replace the left fuel rail high pressure fuel sensor. Never did get any paper work. It did it again about 55k miles. This time had an independent repair and they replaced the left and right high pressure fuel sensor. Both times I drove it for several weeks with no problems before the repairs were started and didn't have any problems.
Since then LR has come up with a change to the PCM in a TSB that corrects the fault. I have not had the problem in the past 15K miles.
The LH sensor is on the rear of the LH fuel rail and you need to remove the battery and battery box, the RH sensor is on the rear of the RH fuel rail and you need to remove a heat shield from under the vehicle. Can't be that difficult a job I only paid $500 that included the parts from LR.
If you have an independent that has a good relationship with a dealer they might be able to do the PCM update and maybe the fault will clear and you will be in good shape. If replacing the fuel rail high pressure sensors is not the hard of a job but you probably have to do some recalibration.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA