Exhaust check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

ModRover

Just thought I'd pass along a little interesting info.

I saw a D90 exhaust that looked intact from a quick glance. Nothing to speak of right? Wrong. The rig came in for "not running" or some such. Well, the fuel pump wasn't running... that was a quick fault found. Then, a closer look underneath (you have to drop these tanks to change the fuel pump -no nice little hatch to open) to begin dropping the tank and... OH MY GOD... that exhaust had rotted completely thru only in the area where it makes the bend over the rear axle. HOT exhaust had escaped out and melted a good sized hole in the plastic tank! It actually baked the fuel pump. So, the problem wasn't really the fuel pump at first. Lesson- check those exhaust pipes. It's not just that res. in the back or a cat. that goes ****-up. Take a pair of channel locks and grip the sections of pipe. If you find areas that really give under a med. squeeze... chances are you're in need of an exhaust system or patch work.

Oh yeah, I'd really recommend the NRP exhaust system. I know John the owner of NRP (he's out here in the PNW) and he does great work. I think Rovers North sells them for him. I ran a full system on my old 1988 Range Rover that I put a 4.2L in. It was well worth it. Not trying to sell for him... just passing along advice and experience.

Regards,
Michael
'65 IIA Special

W

WCURoverD90

Michael,
I have heard good things abuot the NRP's....Good post on checkin the exhaust underneath....Never can tell what something is doing if you don't check....Good info...

Jason Habbal

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72