Fault on LR3 2005 - Diagnostic "Reduced Engine Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olatej1

Reaction score
LR3 2005 - Diagnostic "Reduced Engine Performance -OBD 2100 & 0000

A message came up today on my LR3 2005 ( 48,000M). The message board came up with an "i >" that is an i and something that looks like a Triangle. Message counter with igintion key in II states

" Reduced Engine Performance"; Does anyone know what this means and what i need to do. I did notice a louder noise from my engine compartment and when i checked while iddle, the FAN was reving high, guess RPM was above 1. No other warning lights!!!

I completed a do it your self service on it about 1-2mths ago, replacing air filter, oil filter, cabin filter, toping fluids and oil but i was unable to re-set the service reminder light which now states -71miles; I also noticed that the coolant reservoir was low where you fill it up.

Thanks

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAF or Thermostat would be my first guesses....then maybe throttle body

olatej1

Reaction score
I guess i will need to first get the Code Read

will try the MAS and Thermostat. or bad sensor inside a throttle body Seems this is a common problem..per previous threads
Several threads here on the forum have it, each with different resolutions, although the MAS was the most common it

dochummer

Reaction score
Depending on where you live, purchasing a code reader may be a good idea. I'm 200 miles from the nearest dealership so I picked up a IIDTool. So far it's working great for reading and clearing the codes so I can at least diagnose the problem.

olatej1

Reaction score
Hi Dochummer
How much do these tools cost and where can you buy or order them...i live in MD but currently on work in Toronto, Canada for a few months...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see much on that link particularly relevant to the your current issue. Having a diagnostic tool to read and clear error codes is handy. My experience on the matter is less than lackluster.

Another issue, which is commonly known to cause revving of the fan is a bad alternator, or short. Sometimes wires to the starter rub and cause a short. You may be able to remove the alternator and have it tested, or test it in place.

There are reasonably priced places to get a replacement alternator.

olatej1

Reaction score
on the way to have the code read, the message cleared and noise/rev from the engine died. Throttle was intially acting as if it was stuck with high rev of above 1500rpm and came down when engine was engaged to drive. Now truck starts and revs smoothly

!st Code was P0000 - Manufaturer DTC -> Any One know what this Means???

2nd Code stored in Memory was "P2100" - Translated by Tool as " Throttle Accuator Motor Circuit Open". The translation from the technician was that "Sensor inside Throttle might be faulty and degrading" Hence throttle been stuck on some few occassions

Has anyone had to replace this part, was told it is a simple DIY once plastic engine compartment cover is removed!!!!!

olatej1

Reaction score
OBD Code was P0000 - Manufaturer -> Any One know what this Means???
Called dealer, they had no idea to wait for message to re-appear. Dealer states per symptoms(intermittent) and P2100, Throttle Body has to be serviced or clean OR Replaced. advised new part is $350.

How do you service or clean Throttle Body ? (Note it has been working normal since yesterday and i had the codes cleared, no reving up again)

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At home throttle body cleaning has been described on this and most other boards. I too suffered a $500 dealer bill only for a "cleaning". On the way home, engine light came back on, as it turns out the only thing cleaned out was my wallet.

I started using seafoam every month or so, light went out, and has been out ever since. You should be able to remove the engine cover, and spray some cleaner and get it cleaned up, described on the forums such as here. http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21827&highlight=throttle+body+clean

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635