First service denied?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceRider

Reaction score
My "SERVICE REQUIRED" dashboard message came on at 6500 miles and only ten months from the date of purchase. My dealership covered the maintenance nonetheless.

I was told by technician that service is based not only on mileage, but also number of vehicle starts. So if you drive lots of short trips, the service interval will be shorter than the 15k miles used as a default.

Shop manager told me this when I asked if I had to remember servicing or if the vehicle would prompt me at required intervals.

I can only trust him but have no idea if this is true or not. Out of curiousity, do you drive a lot of short trips?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several calculations that go into the 'time' factor of the service reminder, such as cold starts vs warm up cycles, ambiant driving conditions, average fuel ecconomy, and much more. However, it's usually doesn't sway it much, a couple weeks or so. Most likely with coming on 10 months after delivery, the reminder was 'set' on 2 months before you took delivery.

It is supposed to be reset the day of delivery, but the sales department rarely takes the time to get that done.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by technician that service is based not only on mileage, but also number of vehicle starts. So if you drive lots of short trips, the service interval will be shorter than the 15k miles used as a default.

Shop manager told me this when I asked if I had to remember servicing or if the vehicle would prompt me at required intervals.

I can only trust him but have no idea if this is true or not. Out of curiousity, do you drive a lot of short trips?

Thanks. Good info. My driving is predominantly short trips, 5 miles to work and back, and mostly city driving.

And yes, I got mine at LR Frisco as well

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When did you all change your first oil? Am I being paranoid for no reason? Has anyone else had this problem? So far I am very disappointed with the service department at the Centerville Utah Landrover.

We have the same local (and only) Utah dealer. Service department is notorious for following protocol, so get to know the guys that do the actual work...

Living in Utah, I would recommend changing the oil every 7500 miles due to our extreme climate. This was validated by Bob (head tech at LRC) a few weeks back. Our LR4 is almost 2 years old, and we have amassed 65K miles since new. Our goal is to hit 125k, then buy a new one. If treated properly, these cars are tanks.

Enjoy the perfect SUV for Utah!

-B

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the same local (and only) Utah dealer. Service department is notorious for following protocol, so get to know the guys that do the actual work...

Living in Utah, I would recommend changing the oil every 7500 miles due to our extreme climate. This was validated by Bob (head tech at LRC) a few weeks back. Our LR4 is almost 2 years old, and we have amassed 65K miles since new. Our goal is to hit 125k, then buy a new one. If treated properly, these cars are tanks.

Enjoy the perfect SUV for Utah!

-B
I actually had them change a fuse in Centerville and they were a bit different than the LR dealers here in CA, which was surprising.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread was timely. My lr4 is about 11 months old, with 10,500 miles on it. I bought it while it was still on the boat being shipped over here. LR called to set up an appointment, I guess they had a calendar reminder, and at around the same time, my service reminder popped up on the vehicle warnings. Obviously, mileage alone didn't trigger the reminder.

For those without roof racks or bars, how quiet is your car at highway speed? I always noticed a bit of noise, but I had a thule rack on it. I recently took it off, and I get the same buffeting sounds at speed. Just curious if this is particular to my vehicle. Its the one thing i will have them look at. Apart from that minor (and perhaps phantom) issue, the car has been error free...it hasn't been back to the dealership since I bought it. Very different experience than the brief time I owned the Grand Cherokee!

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the first service is free, be careful about "recommended" add on services. My dealer said I needed new wiper blades (with less then 6000 miles in the vehicle) - for a minimal fee of $170.00!

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the first service is free, be careful about "recommended" add on services. My dealer said I needed new wiper blades (with less then 6000 miles in the vehicle) - for a minimal fee of $170.00!

ouch! Any other things they try to up sell you on?

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny story...about a year ago I scheduled an appointment online at a LR/Jaguar dealership to have an oil change for my LR4 and committed to an online price of about $160.00. When I came in for an appointment, the LR service manager tried to bump me an extra $120.00 claiming that the price quoted online was for a 6-cylinder LR4. Since mine had 8, I have to pay extra! No surprise that that service department is a bloody train wreck.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouch! Any other things they try to up sell you on?

Wheel balance and alignment, even with my new tires (only had 2000 mi on them) installed by my local tire guy a few months previously. Total cost with new wiper blades was $380.00. Needless the say, I refused both.

And, they forgot to reset the "service required" message on the dashboard.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo