First Service Lesson Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I took my '11 LR4 in for the 15k or 1 year service. The dealer I purchased from provides the first service as a complimentary benefit. The write-up advisor asked if there was anything else I wanted done, I thought since I was there I I would have them replace a three wiper blades. I was shocked to find out they charged me $168 for the blades.

That will be the last time they perform that task. Is there anyone who has a suggestion for proper replacement blades that work well in a snowy climate that are reasonably priced.

Jim

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I took my '11 LR4 in for the 15k or 1 year service. The dealer I purchased from provides the first service as a complimentary benefit. The write-up advisor asked if there was anything else I wanted done, I thought since I was there I I would have them replace a three wiper blades. I was shocked to find out they charged me $173 for the blades.

That will be the last time they perform that task. Is there anyone who has a suggestion for proper replacement blades that work well in a snowy climate that are reasonably priced.

Jim
I installed the Bosch ones and they work really well. I think I bought the ICON blades and they were reasonable. Here is a link:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/WiperBlades/Pages/WiperBlades.aspx

However, here in Northern California we only get rain for part of the year, so I am not sure how they would be for snow. Maybe others have some suggestions.

That's a rip off for wiper blades! They are easy to change yourself. I would definitely avoid the dealership for that stuff if you can.

Good luck!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried BOSCH on my other cars and was very happy.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also vote for Bosch. I have been using them since the late 80s and have never been dissapointed with thier performance.

That seems like about $100 too much for the blade replacement. The best Bosch blades will set you back less than $60 for all three.

Rob

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin ones are nice too. Mine are over a year old and still work great! Proline from pep boys are good too....

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PIAA wiper blades are also some of the best you can buy.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bosch blades are great. Also in a snowy climate I also treated the windshield and back glass with RainX to help the snow/sleet slip off easier.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it the entire wiper assembly or just the rubber blade inserts? Although I think the price is high, if it was the entire blade replaced, the OE ones are pretty massive and well constructed, I could see all three retailing for about $75 bucks or so. I know full blade replacement at BMW, just the front without install were over $60 bucks, and that was on a 2005. I would say labor is 20 min, if taking a careful approach, and I think LR, as well as other dealers, charge in 15 minute increments. Gotta add sales tax too, here in SF it's 9.5%, so it just adds up. I personally think Bosche is crap, made in China now, not Germany like they used to be. They just don't last.

Last edited:

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree w/ Eightlug, actually just ordered Bosch Icon wipers for my new '11 LR4 (wasn't thrilled with the performance of the OEM blades, they seemed to be a little streaky), I've been putting the Bosch blades on all of my cars for the past few years, and have been very satisfied with their performance. I paid under $40 on Amazon for the two front wipers. Didn't touch the rear wiper, although I find the rear wipers usually last 2-3 years on SUVs since they aren't used as much. I also treat all the windows with Rain-X every month or two.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9