Flashing (blinking) Odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
2001 Disco II SE with 90k

A few days ago I had the charging system tested and was told I needed a new alternator and the battery is almost done for too. Upon stubbornly driving it again the next day the alternator went on me while driving. After getting it towed home it sat for about two days before I replaced the alternator. With the new alternator it still didn't start so I got the battery tested, was told it was bad, and got a new one. Started right up. So everything is fine except my odometer is flashing all the time. Have driven multiple times since replacing with rebuilt 150amp bosch alternator and new battery but still it flashes. Could this be because of a loose battery connection because I noticed the positive battery cable is kind of loose and can be wiggled off. Or could this be some sort of other wierd LR problem? All the gauges are functioning fine as is the odometer.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is strange. The Rover seems to be pretty sensitive to poor battery connections....pretty easy to clean and tighten...you should do it to prevent future gremlins.

If it were me, at the end of the day, I would disconnect the battery and check to make certain the connections to the alternator are clean and tight. I would leave the battery disconnected overnight, and then clean the cables-ends and reconnect the battery in the morning.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
Battery Connections

What can I use to take up space between the battery post and the metal clamp that you tighten with a wrench. There seems to be some extra space there since I switched to the new battery.

But also the odometer started flashing after the alternator died and hasn't stopped flashing since.

adgunn94

Reaction score
i imagine your best bet would be to put some new cable ends on the cables or replace the cables. is fairly easy to put some new ends on the cables, as long as there is enough slack to account for an inch or so shorter cables.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Widen the clamp slot. Take the bolt out of the clamp and use a rough file in the slot to remove a bit of material.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4