For those who have other things to worry about other than crossover pipe failure/catastrophic overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a catastrophic coolant loss with my front crossover pipe failing at 98k miles. The water pump was busted as well as coolant was coming through the weep holes. I knew about the issue for the crossovers since around 50k, but never got to replacement beforehand. Anyways back to the failure day, it just so happened that I needed to exit the freeway and I needed gas. I noticed the sweet smell as soon as i got out the vehicle. I ran back to push the engine button off. The AC worked fine, the temp gauge was in the middle, no lights indicating coolant loss. I opened the hood and the expansion tank is bone dry and coolant is everywhere steaming. That was really scary......how could LR design their temp sensors and low coolant sensor like this? I immediately towed it home and did the repairs with a friend. Everything is working fine thank God. It looks like i was really really lucky it just happened and i caught it early before the engine overheated.

Back to my point of this post. I was thinking we rover owners should install this device. It's very cheap insurance and would let the driver know of a complete coolant loss failure event the second it happens.

cjm41

Reaction score
I was totally thinking of finding something like this. Because of the faulty sensor, I live with a low coolant warning on. I have to replace the sensor but maybe need to do this as well. Obviously LR can’t be trusted.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was totally thinking of finding something like this. Because of the faulty sensor, I live with a low coolant warning on. I have to replace the sensor but maybe need to do this as well. Obviously LR can’t be trusted.
yeah man do both. Best insurance policy in my opinion.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brave dude. Very brave.

I’m putting a kit together which would be pressure sensor operated sounding a really annoying buzzer. If there’s enough take up I’ll make a batch. If not then it’s a one and done.

any interest?

cjm41

Reaction score
I might be, depending on the integration. I’m a bit of a nerd and would actually enjoy doing something like this myself.

My coolant crossover pipes have been replaced to the “improved design” and I travel with tools and another set of coolant crossover pipes... so... brave, but not dumb. Haha

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be, depending on the integration. I’m a bit of a nerd and would actually enjoy doing something like this myself.

My coolant crossover pipes have been replaced to the “improved design” and I travel with tools and another set of coolant crossover pipes... so... brave, but not dumb. Haha
And some spare coolant I hope ;)

op. I’m really glad you dodged a bullet with this. At least you pushed it as far as you could without a mile wasted due to premature replacement.

Last edited:

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some spare coolant I hope ;)

op. I’m really glad you dodged a bullet with this. At least you pushed it as far as you could without a mile wasted due to premature replacement.
Yeah Stuart i know. When i hear about guys losing their engines over this, i really do feel like crap myself. Russian roulette sucks.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's 08 RR did the same thing- she was on the highway and thought she noticed slight steam from the engine but it was hard to tell. No engine lights or anything. She was trying to make it to work but a few miles short of getting there it got too bad and she pulled over in a school parking lot. Coolant everywhere. Lucky for us she was only a few blocks from our Indy shop (I tried to get her to stop there but...). The school actually saw her out in the lot and called the Indy shop on their own accord and asked if they knew anything about a Land Rover leaking coolant all over the place and they said "yeah, it's one of ours, we'll be down to get it".

Coolant tank was bone dry at that point but never a low coolant message, sensor had gone bad, so even though the whole expansion tank was replaced, I don't trust it and check the coolant level all the time. In our case the fan had developed just enough wobble to nick a hose and under pressure it popped a pin-hole. If it were a crossover pipe issue the engine would have been toast way back on the highway.

I like the idea of these kits!

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I’ve not heard a good/bad story like this in a while. I’ll put wobbly fan on my list of insomnia excuses….

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note - what would the collective think is the fail rate on the coolant level sensors (miles or years)? Should that be on the list of crossover pipe bits since it's a $25 part?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut