Front end clunk at takeoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have noticed that when I slam on the gas from a dead stop there is a clunk sound from the driver side(ish). It sounds like it is comming from the steering area, maybe a worn rod or something? When I start out slow there is no clunk. I have done some searches on this but I cant tell exactly what it could be.
Ideas?

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe u-joints or just the drivetrain slack. No need to hit the gas dude its a truck.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha true. I dont wanna break something. You know those times when you just need to get going, it would be nice not to hear it. If it is something going bad I would like to fix it now instead of getting stranded later.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be motor mounts like mention above, u-joints, or just slack in the drive train.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is motor mounts, I would be able to shake/nudge the motor enuff to see if it is loose right?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is it is the U-Joint is the drive shaft...how often to you grease them, and please don't say that the local oil change shop said they did it... cause we both know they didn't.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha!

I change all my fluids minus the transmission. I have totally spaced on greasing them lately. It has been at least 6 months. That did cross my mind the other day.

robfrey1

Reaction score
I had the same problem and decided to attempt a cross country trip promising myself I'd get it fixed the minute I got home. Never made it. 200 miles from home, the front drive shaft snapped at the rear joint (where there isn't a greese fitting btw) and the swinging driveshaft struck the transmission and transfer case card enough that now I need to have them replaced. ($4K job).

Don't wait to get your Disco in to see a mechanic.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sux robfrey!!

Did it happen every time you started rolling or just when you stomped on it? Thats kinda scarry that you say that because I am about to go down to Eugene, OR for some camping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer