Front Runner Ladder Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[Had some time yesterday to install the Front Runner Outfitters ladder. What I liked most about this choice in the ladder was the value, look and ease of installation. There is no drilling required and the ladder uses all existing hardware.

I did have a slight alignment issue at the top where it overhangs the hatch, but the provided bracket that installs on the hinge pulled it right where it needed to be. Total time it took was 45 minutes and the toughest part was putting the interior trim panel back on.

Attachments

• ladder1.jpg
    ladder1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ladder2.jpg
    ladder2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 110
  • ladder3.jpg
    ladder3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ladder install instructions?

Would the ladder install instructions be a pdf that you could post? The pdf might be too big however.

I was just wondering how the ladder connected at the bottom just above the entry handle.

Do you have to remove/loosen the handle and something slips behind or what?

The ladder does look good mounted there.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the ladder install instructions be a pdf that you could post? The pdf might be too big however.

I was just wondering how the ladder connected at the bottom just above the entry handle.

Yes, you do have to remove the plate "light cluster" for this install. There is a flat bracket below the bottom of the step that slides over the existing holes where the light cluster bolts back through into the hatch. It fits flush with the body. The light cluster covers that bracket once you reattach the cluster.

The installation instructions are on their website if you click on the ladder then look below the picture, the installation tab is the second over. Then you can click to download.
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/ladders/front-runner-vehicle-ladder-a-clip-on-land-rover-discovery-3-4.html#.UwLJw8KYZjo

Trynian

Reaction score

FYI
It installs the same as the factory LR ladder.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Runner instructions win.

Thanks all for the help.

I must say that if one wants nice easy clear instructions as to how to remove the rear upper hatch handle, that Front Runner ladder install pdf is the answer.

The LR instructions can be a bit shy on words I find so in this case, FR wins.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I like the looks of the G4 one better, but not twice the price better......

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I like the looks of the G4 one better, but not twice the price better......

There was a G4 looking ladder on amazon all winter for $200- http://goo.gl/FDQd2a
Its out of stock now, but I bet there are some more on ebay.

I want this ladder from Prospeed.uk, but its too stinking expensive to import:
5789111747_27a2b3336c_z.jpg

The prospeed rack is probably the best I have ever seen too. Its so slim, you might not even notice it in the picure above. here is a better shot of it:
N6wXNi.jpg

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
effective mounting bracket for ...

It seems to me that the ladder verticals would be a good mounting bracket for rear lights, antennas, or backup cameras, that sort of thing.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Nice setup Matt!

I've had my eye on the Frontrunner ladder for a while now. this looks like a new design too from when I viewed their site late last year... Anyway, I'm curious to know if there is anything like an adhesive strip to put between the lip at the top of the ladder and the top of the door edge to prevent any movement once you set onto the ladder? Is it a snug fit or loose? The OEM ladder required drilling 2 screws at the top to prevent movement once you step on it... Also, it that a powder coat finish?

this is taken from the install pdf:

"Hook the lip at the top of the Ladder over the Top Edge of the Rear Door through the gab between the door and the
vehicle's roof as shown. Push the Top Lip against the top
edge of the Rear Door."

Thanks Jayson

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always been on the fence about a ladder. I like them, but I also like the clean look of the LR3 without it. Hmmm....looks better if there is a rack on too, and that's not on my radar. A Rooftop tent would come before a rack. Damn racks get hung up on tree branches in the spots we wheel up here in the Pacific NW.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9