Front Runner rack mounting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tygerriver

Reaction score
Hey all, I am a total newbie. Just got my wife an 16.5 lr4. Its hands down my favorite car we have ever owned. Anyways, i just ordered the front runner slimline (3./4th length) rack and am about to put it up on the roof. The car does not have rails but it has predrilled holes in the ditch molding above the mount points.

Can I just put the rack on top of the ditch molding and mount it through the predrilled holes? The screws fit so its physically possible, I just don't know if it's bad idea for any reason. The directions seem to call for cutting the ditch molding (the ********* piece of plastic the runts the length of the roof on either side).

I am not sure if they directions are that way because using the predrilled will effect the racks performance or if the directions just don't anticipate predrilled holes in the ditch molding... Any insight would be awesome thanks!

fishjump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a two month old LR4, and you mount it directly on top of the molding. Just pop out the screw hole covers, and everything lines up.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could either of you measure the height of the rack above the highest part of the roofline when you have a chance? I really want to get the 3/4 length front runner but live in the city with a tight garage and low height parking garages everywhere.

fishjump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 5.50" from roof (above rear passenger door) to top of rack. BTW, I do not have the

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635