Gobi Rack Install Question - help needed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s definitely the wrong position, which I think you know. Look how far forward your front mount is. Also your fairing seems to not fit. When I got mine (non-rail) I thought I remember they aren’t compatible with the full rail rovers and that you had to source half rails. Sorry. IDK for sure. But here are my pics of where it should be positioned. Honestly ditch the rails and use the strips.
IMG_2565.jpeg
IMG_2564.jpeg

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also fwiw, when I worked with Gobi I only used the old phone. Ditch trying to get an email through and get someone on a call.

tcaudle2001

Reaction score
Yeah... that's kind of a can of worms. But, here is the short version...

When I bought it... I told them which rails I had...and sent them pictures... which is part of the process (as you know).

They sent me the wrong hardware originally...and the wrong instructions. They sent me the instructions and hardware for the no rails version.

Then, once they realized their mistake, they sent me the "correct" hardware...and "correct" instructions. Even the truck in the new instruction has the full length rails. but, even the truck in the instructions... you can tell that the wind deflector sits all the way in front of the front portion of the "slopey" plastic covers.... mind does not.

So, there is the part of this that goes... for almost $2k they should give me what they sold me... but, also, I like the full length rails. And... probably more to the point... somehow they got it to work on the one in the photos in the instructions.

My HOPE is that it is simple to cut the little plastic thing, slide everything up, and we're good to go. My FEAR is that the mounting points are welded in different spots for this version of the rack. God I hope that's not the case... but if it is, I am just going to get a refund b/c this whole thing has been a bit of a circus.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re the phone... yeah, I will today. It's the lawyer in me... I like to have a written record of anything... :-/
I get it. Me too. With this fuller picture I certainly can appreciate the frustration. Getting the mounting positions welded in the wrong location seems sort of insane. The online directions only offer the half rack install version, which is a bit more straightforwad. I'd be interested to see the directions for the mounting of the front-most mount to the full rack. Under that transition cap should be the actual roof mount where my pictured bracket is attached. I guess a quick way to check would be to pull it all off and see if the welded rack mounts will even match the roof mount locations. I can't believe they only have the front mounts attaching to the rack and not hard-mounted to the roof location.

tcaudle2001

Reaction score
Even with the half rails... the rack is just mounted to rails....not directly to the roof. I have to defer to them on the engineering...

I (have tried) to attached the full length instructions here... I am reasonably handy with things like this... but, even so, it's pretty much impossible to screw up the first step... and there's certainly nothing about cutting anything...

Page 3....

Attachments

• Gobi LR-3 & LR-4 roof rack install for OEM rails (2).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 16

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woah. The rack mounting position at the front definitely looks different from the directions vs. your pics. Unless it's the angle of the picture. Hopefully they make it right and you find resolution.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your front mounting flange on the rack seems to match up with @CRYA's picture, while the pictures in the instructions show it further back. I'd bet they shipped you the wrong rack for the long roof rails, and it wasn't just the mounting hardware they mixed up, but the whole thing.

tcaudle2001

Reaction score
Ah. I see what you are saying. In my photo that front mounting position is right next to the vertical bar. In the instructions, that mounting position looks like it is several inches to the rear. This is what I feared. I am going to revise my email to them. They can either send me the correct rack... or give me my money back....

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front mounting flange on the rack seems to match up with @CRYA's picture, while the pictures in the instructions show it further back. I'd bet they shipped you the wrong rack for the long roof rails, and it wasn't just the mounting hardware they mixed up, but the whole thing.
Bingo. I bet that's it. How unfortunate. I swear, aside from the delay during pandemic, I had a positive experience wit their customer service and have never hesitated to recommend the rack given its solid construction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72