Front runner slimline ii 1/2 rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thorhougen

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and to Rover's in general, but I have a question on a Front Runner Slimline II 1/2 rack i just installed on my '15 LR4.
At freeway speeds I get a pretty good 'humming' sound from the rack. Not a rattle as if there's a fitting loose (double checked those already).
Any thoughts on how I might fix this?
Many thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Thor

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thor,

I have their full rack and despite several visits to Frontrunner's HQ, the wind noise will be there. Because the LR4's roof is mostly glass, it doesn't insulate the sound as well. You can try adjusting the wind fairing but you will still most likely hear the air turbulence caused by the rack.

Thorhougen

Reaction score
Thank you LR4TQ! Do you know if anyone had better luck with an Eezi-awn rack?? Their slats go the length of the truck as opposed to perpendicular.
Cheers,
Thor

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the noise will be about the same since the wind is being pushed down regardless if the slats are vertical or horizontal. The trick is get the air to go around or above the rack to reduce the noise.

Someone else can chime in but I think the OEM rack is actually the quietest.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Thule aero crossbars and a simple Yakima clamp-on basket and I had significant humming as well. In fact, I had the humming even when I removed the basket. For me it was in large part because holes or gaps in the crossbar would create a hum or deep "whistle" as wind blew over it similar to what happens when you blow cross the top of an open bottle or the same effect that makes a flute work. I covered all of the gaps with duct tape and that seemed to make the humming go away. I also believe that the sound waves were resonating through the roof as I had the crossbars bolted to the factory rails. No sound cushioning there. I switch to Yakima aero blades this year and didn't get the humming but with the basket on I get plenty of wind noise when going 75 on the interstate. I don't think there is any way around that.

P_J_F

Reaction score
I've got the Full Slimline II rack and there is some wind noise, which is unavoidable - but not bad at all.

Honestly, after a few weeks and now many road trips later I hardly even notice it.

If you are concerned I might call over to Front Runner Outfitters, they may have some tricks up their sleeves, super nice people over there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4