Front sway bar, grease *******, exhaust heat shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got around to inspect Disco after last wheeling, and found out that sway bar (yes, shame on me, i still have it) took off grease ****** thingy off the front shaft. DAMN.
That explains vibes i been getting driving back home, i sppse.

So now question is - how the heck i can get accursed sway bar off? Points where it attaches to frame are of course not issue, but where it mounted to front axle housing - are. I dont see how one can pull it out without getting radius arms off :( And i am totally not looking forward to do that - had enough trouble to stick them back after getting new bushings. And how you guys, who took front sway bar off and got lift, feel about driving on highways? What about limited length of them ABS sensor wires?

And on same note - where one can get that grease ****** thingy? I wanna try to put it back to balance shaft.

Also - i realized that i dont have heat shield that shall be between body and exhaust. There are brackets to attach it, but shield itself missing completely and by the looks of it - been missing for quite a while. Does Home Depot or something similar sells them asbestos shields like that?

C

Cozmo

Sergei have you thought about installing quick disconnects for your front swaybar. If you lift you should get the extended ABS lines.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, i thought about them, but i keep hearing lots of bad things about that shortcut, so i am just trying to figure out best way. Aedofab makes ones for rovers, to my recollection.

Extended lines eh.. Oh well. Guess i will give Dave Lucas a buzz, seeing that i cant think of anyone else who carries those..

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend has quick disconnects on both his Grand Cherokee and Wrangler (sorry for the swearing involved in this post). When we were in Moab in May we were able to remove the sway bars in no more than a few minutes.

On the other hand, our other friend doesn't have the quick disconnects and it took us almost 45 minutes to get the buggers off - with the help of a rubber mallet!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom - hmm.. i dont see them listed on site. But Its ok. Dave got them for like 15$/extension so i will get mines from him, seeing that he is local(Colorado) & etc..

As of quick disconnects - i am arguing with myself about spending 65$ at Aedofab or just go to hardware store and build me own. Most likely will just buy it, as it will be about same in hardware price.

I also figured that i may try to lower sway bar mounts to give driveshaft more clearance by sticking some spacers in there - will try tonight.

Cant find stupid asbestos shield in ACE hardware :(

And it looks like my right hand cat finally giving up (for 3 days i been hearing from time to time some metallic-like rattle from somewhere around those parts, but still need to confirm)

And truck still seems to be unhappy about something, as there are problems with starts from time to time, but then fuelpump is new, filter is new, motor was cleaned up.. Oh well it never rains but it pours. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99