Front tow hook. Removing plastic cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never before taken off the plastic shield that covers the front tow hook. I needed to this afternoon (don’t ask) and after giving each of the hold-downs a quarter turn as per manual it wouldn’t come off. I was afraid of breaking it

I’m back in my garage but still can’t get the thing off.

Is there some trick that the manual doesn’t show? It’s a 2016

Frank

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine off a couple of weeks ago and it was very straightforward using the method you described. There may have been some very basic jiggling involved but it just came right off. That plastic is way more robust than we probably give it credit for. Maybe it was the tabs across the top that were the culprit. Don't take no for an answer, it will come off.

And FWIW, the front of your LR4 doesn't look bad without that piece, IMO. I still haven't put mine back on and am not sure I will.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I’ll give it another try when it warms up a bit.

If it seves only a cosmetic function I’ll just leave it off

Frank

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came off after turning the hold downs. Maybe try turning them more.

You can drive around without that cover. It's mostly cosmetic but might function to save a thimble full of gas every mile or two.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the 1/4 turn fasteners, I went to the parts counter at the dealer because one of mine snapped off when I was trying to remove the hitch cover (I assume they are the same as on the front tow hook cover).

Now, I never expect anything for free, but given the cheapness of the part and the fact it's not really a wear item I was surprised to be charged $3.35 for one!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love those dealers. Remember, AtlanticBritish is your friend:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DYR500010

I bought a small bag of them which I leave in one of the rear cubbies because they tend to snap off pretty easily.

Also, I may be wrong but it seemed like there was a subtle difference in the fasteners used in my MY13 FRONT recovery point cover (vs the T-shaped ones I use for the rear tow hook cover). I recall looking at the fastener end when I removed the front cover and noticing that they didn't seem to have the pronounced T-shape.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I just assumed they would be the same...a spare bag sounds like a great idea Cperez.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to confirm what I said about the fasteners being different between rear and front trim pieces. In fact, the tip for the front fastener is somewhat different than the T-shaped tip of the rear fastener. What I don't know is whether the "T" will work on the front as well.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't put my front cover back on in over 4 years. :D

Completely unnecessary.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't put my front cover back on in over 4 years. :D

Completely unnecessary.

In fact, it looks cooler without the trim, IMO. I thought it might look unfinished or appear that some piece was obviously missing but that's not the case. The exposed recovery loop is distinctive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9