fuel gauge not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94discovery

Reaction score
1994 discovery 1

fuel gauge does not move after filling up?
i have newer fuel pump.

would this be caused by an electrical problem or disconnected wire?

thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a wiring issue.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or your float/sensor is stuck. Give it a day or so of driving and if it doesn't correct itself get back to us and I'll walk you thru what to test.

Matthew R Coyle

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have the issue of the fuel gauge not reading correctly.
I measured 5vdc on the sender wires when disconnected. 4.8VDC when connected. So it seems like the sender is working.
I pulled the dash and everything looks OK. See pin 1 is black to lower gauge connector and pin3 is dark green with black trace to middle gauge connector. Measure 4.8VDC across these. Gauge does not respond. If I remove the display and swap the polarity put 5vdc pin1 and ground on pin3 the gauge goes to full.
Wondering if you can provide any additional testing tips. Or if this is an indication of a defective gauge?
Thanks

Last edited:

lukeismighty

Reaction score
This was a VERY old thread that you jumped on. I imagine that maybe, someone will reply, other than myself. I wish I had an answer for you, but I have the exact same issue you do.

No idea what is going on with the sending unit, everything looks fine to me that I can see, the needle for the tank's level just sits at empty with the light on. Its a 97 Land Rover Discovery 1 SD. We replaced the cluster with another because the tach was jumping all over then stopped working, only to find out that it was something not pushed on all the way making contact. So we put back on the original cluster. The fuel level was the same on both clusters. I don't think that the issue was in there.

I've also gone and checked all the fuses and such before I checked voltages. I've pull the fuel pump out and moved the the float arm up and down, checking that the the voltage? resistance? changes, which it does. Everything all the way to the wires that plug into the fuel pump looks like it has continuity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72