Fuel gauge reads full all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cestor

Reaction score
Since replacing the fuel pump, the gauge reads full even when the tank is empty. Anyone have any ideas. Something to do with the fuel sending units? Could there be a wiring harness incorrectly attached?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember it would be difficult to cross up the electrical plug since it can only plug one way. It's more likely to me if there was a wiring cross up it would be inside the cap at the 3 plugs. Or, it could be a mechanical issue where the float of one of the sending units is jammed. Either way sucks becuase pulling the tank is a pain. Attached are a couple of files from the manual that may give more insight. I will say that when my sending units were bad the gauge read empty. I replaced both of them and the pump while I had the tank out.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank Removal.pdf
    350.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Description and Operation.pdf
    545.9 KB · Views: 81

Lee-R

Reaction score
It could most definitely be a problem with your senders in the tank. For a temporary fix you could reset your odometer every time you refuel and just keep an eye on your miles once it gets close to 300 miles just refuel again. But it is just a temporary fix.

Bethany

Reaction score
Yes, I recently heard from a LR mechanic that one of the sensors in the tank frequently will have problems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut