Fuel tank - odd behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
My front fuel level sending unit went out. This of course caused my fuel gauge to always show empty and my low fuel light to be on. I didn't have time to fix this, so I hired a local mechanic. (The local LR dealer closed down last year and the nearest is now too far away.) He "fixed" it, but as a result of the "fix," I'm seeing some odd behaviors, all of which seem to be related to in-tank pressure issues--perhaps all are caused by the same problem?

1. Engine sometimes dies at idle when the gauge shows 1/8 fuel level or less (light on). This only happens at idle, never when the throttle is engaged. I don't think I'm "running out of gas," for this reason, and when I refuel I'm not getting 20 gallons in the tank.

2. When refueling, the gas pump automatically stops filling when "full," but not before pressure has apparently built up inside the tank forcing some fuel out of what I can guess is the tank vent (not the little fill vent).

3. At this point of refueling, the fuel gauge shows just under the full line. If I go very slowly and carefully, I am able to add a good gallon or more into the tank.

It seems like the tank isn't venting properly, a) creating a vacuum that the fuel pump can't overcome when the engine is idling (not a problem when less air is in the tank?), and b) causing pressure to build up during refueling, spilling fuel out of the tank vent and causing the gas pump to stop prematurely.

What do you guys think? I want to drop the tank and look it over to see what is causing this, but before I do, I wanted to ask you guys if you've seen anything like this or if you have any ideas of what might be causing this. (Not going back to the same mechanic, needless to say...)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be useful to know exactly what he did.

It sounds like some of the lines are not hooked up right or backwards.

It is hard to say exactly what is wrong, it sounds like it might become apparent when you look at it. If you need docs drop me a pm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99