Gas Tank not filling up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ladric

Reaction score
So this has happened almost every time now. Different gas stations. The shut-off on the pump keeps shutting off before the tank is filled. Tonight I had to restart it four times then gave up at $30. Just over half way full.
Any idea what's going on? Seems like the gas must be coming back up the fill line?

2011 HSE with over 105k on.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is often a problem with the evaporative emissions system. Might scan for codes relating to the evap system. Basically, the tank vents into a charcoal canister, and if the lines are blocked or if liquid fuel gets into the charcoal canister or vent lines, the tank won’t vent properly and the pump thinks the tank is full. There should be quite a bit of info on the internet (videos and such) on this problem. Often happens from topping off the tank. I think the solution is to remove the evap lines and charcoal canister, and see if they’re clear or if there is any liquid/blockages. I haven’t done it myself, so can’t really offer much more advice or tips on the procedure. Maybe someone else with more hands on experience will chime in.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 15 does this from time to time. So frustrating. I've even had the dealer look into it and they couldn't find anything wrong.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m you’ve already tried, but does it help to pull the nozzle out a little? I had an old square body Chevy that if you didn’t have the nozzle in just a certain way it would never fill. I’ll have random times with my 3 that the pump will click off and I’ve got to remove the nozzle just a touch.

Kabooom2199

Reaction score
I had a 2005 Jaguar that did the exact same thing when filling up. Definitely the charcoal canister. Hope it's not like the Jag because you had to drop the whole rear transaxle to get to the canister.

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When that happens, I just pull the nozzle back and hold the "gas shield" on the nozzle back a 1/4" to let the pressure out and continue filling the tank. Works for me

Rodney Stanley

Reaction score
So this has happened almost every time now. Different gas stations. The shut-off on the pump keeps shutting off before the tank is filled. Tonight I had to restart it four times then gave up at $30. Just over half way full.
Any idea what's going on? Seems like the gas must be coming back up the fill line?

2011 HSE with over 105k on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA